Calendar syncing problem with HTC Desire Z

• Replies:8
nigel cater
  • Forum posts: 4

Mar 1, 2012, 12:30:59 PM via Website

I am running an HTC Desire Z, which I use as my daily calendar/diary for work. I log all the info through the day so I can transcribe it into my paper diary at the end of each week - yes, I said paper!
I would like to ask questions about sync'ing my phone and the current frustrations I have in not being able to do so!
Could you please tell me in which section I should post these Q's?
Cheers,
Neil.

— modified on Mar 2, 2012, 10:47:07 AM by moderator

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Mar 1, 2012, 2:41:12 PM via Website

What are you trying to sync? Describe your problem as clearly as you can and maybe someone will know a solution!

nigel cater

Mar 1, 2012, 3:13:57 PM via Website

Hi Aaron, thanks for the swift response.
I will try to be as clear as I can with the description of the problem I am having.

I am using the standard Calendar App on my phone, I add Events on a daily basis and am worried that the information I have on the phone could all be lost if I do not upload it to a Gmail Calendar.
I have a primary Gmail account and I have tried to sync my Gmail calendar to my phone calendar - no success. I have downloaded Google Calendar Sync, but, it all referes to Outlook as well.
My computer has Microsoft Office Starter installed - this does not include Outlook.
So ------- Can I sync with Gmail if you do not have Outlook - everwhere I have looked online gives me the impression that I have to have Outlook.
Whenever I try to sync my phone, I get this error message on my screen: Could not connect to Microsoft Outlook; error 2147221164.

I thought that maybe one way around this would be to copy the calendar files from my phone when my phone is connected as a hard drive to my computer, this however seems impossible as I can't even find the files.
Again, after some research, it would seem that these files are of a .vcs format and need to be sync'd with ............ Outlook Express!

So my basic question is: how can this be so complicated and is it that every user of an Andriod phone is forced to use Outlook for sync'ing their calendar?

If there is an alternative, I have not found it on the web, I am hoping that some of you guys with more experience with these Android can help.

I hear about this Cloud/Dropbox thing - is that the way to go - store it all virtually and then access the Cloud from my phone or computer when I want to look back through my calendar?

Please help if you can.

Regards,

Nigel.

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Mar 1, 2012, 3:41:02 PM via Website

Im confused. Isnt the standard calandar on your device Gmail Calendar? Or are you using the HTC Sense calendar?

— modified on Mar 1, 2012, 3:41:25 PM

nigel cater

Mar 1, 2012, 4:25:36 PM via Website

Errrrrrrrrrrr, I am not sure. It is the Calendar that was on the phone when I got it. I am on an HTC Desire Z. I have checked the App to see if there is any mention of who wrote it, ceated it - there is nothing.

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Mar 1, 2012, 5:15:18 PM via Website

When I add an event to the standard calendar app on my phone, it will let me choose to save it as a phone calendar, or gmail calendar. Try to do this with your calendar, there should be a button or something at the top of the event editor, that will let you switch between phone or gmail calendar.

Aaron Tilton

Mar 1, 2012, 5:55:55 PM via Website

I agree with J. you should be able to switch back and forth in the normal calendar. Have you checked all the options?

nigel cater

Mar 2, 2012, 12:35:18 AM via Website

Jeremiah and Aaron,

You have saved the day !
The sequence I had to follow was:
Within Calendar - Menu, More, Calendars.
Once there I have the option of selecting one of the Gmail calendars or All Calendars. I had all calendars selected and assumed this would populate the Gmail calendars - silly me!
I have run a test and if I swap the Calendar to my primary Gmail account calendar it sync's !!!! I can't believe it - I have spent hours on this - thank you so much!

But now................. I have over 2 months of data on my All Calendars (which will not sync) and not on my Gmail Calendar - is there a way of moving all this info across onto my Gmail Calendar so I upload it? Should I post a new thread with this question ?

Thank you so much for your help so far. This is my first Forum post and I can't believe there are people out there kind enough to help us rather less tech savvy people out.

Aaron Tilton

Mar 2, 2012, 10:46:30 AM via Website

Why wont it synic? Using the steps you described it should sync all the dates automatically, unless you told your phone not to save them to gmail when you created the events. If that's the case then I don't know if you can sync without copying them manually. I'll keep playing with my phone and see if I can't figure out a solution.