Uninstalling pre-installed apps

• Replies:5
  • Answered
Jerry Lee
  • Forum posts: 4

Jan 13, 2012, 3:37:20 PM via Website

I just got a MID/Flytouch 3 10" tablet. I also have a 7" that has been pretty easy to work with. The new 10" tablet has Dolphin Browser HD installed but it is a very old version (4.x?). I tried to run the update through my AndroidPIT App Center on the tablet. It downloaded the update OK. It starts the install and almost finishes and then the install fails. I have gone into the application settings and tried to uninstall Dolphin Browser but I don't get that option, it is grayed out. Any idea on how I can apply the update and/or uninstall pre-installed apps on this tablet? There are some other pre-installed apps (Angry Birds) that I would like to uninstall.

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Jan 16, 2012, 12:48:00 PM via Website

Wow... Dolphin 4.x? That is old. If I'm not mistake, the latest version of the Dolphin browser is over 7.x. Often you can't uninstall preloaded apps unless you root your device (rooting= gaining admin. rights and is a bit tricky as it's different on each device) That would be an option to consider but before you do that I'd check to see if there are any firmware updates. Often when a device is new, then it doesn't come preloaded with the latest software/firmware updates and this might be the source of your problem. Go to settings>about this device> software update and see if one is avilable for your aPad.

If that doesn't worrk there is a lot of information about rooting the aPad on the XDA forums.

Jerry Lee
  • Forum posts: 4

Feb 23, 2012, 6:22:38 PM via Website

Yeah, really old version of Dolphin, that is one reason why I was trying to upgrade it. Also, would want to keep up with the latest updates over time. I ended up returning this tablet. I had too many issues with it. The root was not good in my opinion. There were several apps besides Dolphin that were pre-installed (Adobe Reader) that I would want to keep up to date that couldn't be updated since they were pre-installed. Why would they put something in the root that is readily available from the market for free? Also, the market always thought I was in China (which I'm not - US) so I couldn't download several apps that I should've been able to download. Not worth the hassle so I returned the tablet. They need to get somebody to provide a better root before they sell these on eBay! I am a computer professional so I should be able to root the tablet but I really have no desire to do that.

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Feb 23, 2012, 7:26:28 PM via Website

I know where you're coming from. That's why I always avoid the no-name Chinese products. You never know what you're going to get. At last year's IFA in Berlin I actually saw a Chinese "iPhone" running Android 2.1... don't ask me how that happened!

tanlinda
  • Forum posts: 6

May 21, 2012, 3:16:19 PM via Website

I got an android tablet pc flytouch 6 just a few days ago, it uses android 4.0 OS, and it's 10 inch screen.

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

May 22, 2012, 3:56:25 PM via Website

tanlinda
I got an android tablet pc flytouch 6 just a few days ago, it uses android 4.0 OS, and it's 10 inch screen.

How are you liking it so far?