What works well for emergency situation communications?

• Replies:6
Anon Y Mous
  • Forum posts: 7

Jan 10, 2019, 2:42:06 PM via Website

I've witnessed a couple of situations recently that got me thinking about having to call 9-1-1 while in the thick of things. As I play out the scenario in my mind, it never goes smoothly!

My phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) is in a case on my belt. My LG Tone Bluetooth headset is around my neck. So I need to remember to first plug the Tone into my ear (I guess I could go without that - the operator would still hear me talk, but I wouldn't hear any response). Then I have to pull out my phone (and not drop it!!), unlock it, and dial.

Wondering about a smart watch of some kind. But these seem to send text messages only?? Do they make one that you can talk through? And if both the watch and the Tone are Bluetooth connected, which one gets priority?

Any suggestions??

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Jan 11, 2019, 12:51:08 PM via Website

When you find yourself in a dangerous situation, there is never enough time to react! And there certainly isn't enough time to activate your phone and call 911.
The best suggestion is to stay away from those situations. You might want to take a self defense classes.
Stay alert to what's going on around you.
If you feel your safety is threatened
LEAVE!
REMOVE YOURSELF FROM THAT SITUATION!

Think about this: by the time you get out your phone or watch call 911 and the police arrive...., the worst could have all ready happened.
Be smart and Be safe!

Helpful?
Anon Y Mous

Jan 11, 2019, 8:13:59 PM via Website

Lindsay, that might work out in a world full of rainbows, unicorns, and bubble wrap. But real life is full of situations, because it's full of people and activities that are not perfect. I'm not trying to be a citizen cop and clean up the world, nor am I looking for hot zones or trouble spots.

But I have a long drive to work amongst a lot of cars driving at high speeds. I have young grandkids. I go to restaraunts and stores with people everywhere. And life seems to happen in front of me. Am I supposed to turn away and "let someone else do it"??

Some smart watches seem to have some kind of emergency button that activates a certain routine. Doing at least that is faster that monkeying with my phone. And it's better for the person who needs help than staying out of it and hoping the next person to come by feels differently.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Jan 12, 2019, 12:30:59 AM via Website

From the tone of your last post I get the feeling that I offended you!
If I did I apologise.
I thought you were asking about YOUR personal safty!! And not about helping others.
I do have a suggestion for you when you are commuting.
You can get your car equip with a service like On Star. This will able you to simply press a button on your dashboard and it will instantly put you in contact with authorities.
Once again if I offended you with my previous post I am sorry.
Bye the way, NO ONE live in a world of rainbows unicorn and bubble wrap!
And if you knew who you were communicating with you would realize that!

— modified on Jan 12, 2019, 1:26:15 AM

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Jan 12, 2019, 12:56:42 AM via Website

I found something on the internet you might want to look at.image

Helpful?
Anon Y Mous

Jan 12, 2019, 6:42:03 AM via Website

I am sorry about the tone of my reply. I actually tried to edit the post afterward when I realized how snarky it sounded, and contact a Mod or Admin to delete it when I found I couldn't edit. What ruffled me was that I asked a technology question, but instead got a personal advice counselor telling me to just avoid every bad situation.

And if you knew who you were communicating with you would realize that!

And that's the point: I do not know you, and you do not know me. You made some inaccurate assumptions about my situations (and my car - it won't do OnStar), and thus about me.

I know how to Google, and I have come across those results and more. What I do not know is how to evaluate all the various descriptions I'm reading to find what works with my phone (Galaxy S4 running 5.0.1) and works the way I need it to.

For that information, I need to speak to someone familiar with Android Technology and Hardware. Hence, this question in this forum.

Again, sorry we got off on a bad footing. Hopefully our next interaction can be much better.

Helpful?
alice434
  • Forum posts: 13

Mar 4, 2019, 10:36:54 AM via Website

nice post

Helpful?