is the nexus one really worth it?

• Replies:8
Peter Long
  • Forum posts: 74

Mar 1, 2010, 2:59:30 PM via Website

i've been thinking about getting the new nexus one. i've never had a smartphone before because i've never been a big iPhone fan (especially the part about getting ripped off with the AT&T data plan). as far as i can tell, there's been a lot of hype around the nexus one. can anyone tell me what makes the nexus one better? is it true that i can customize basically everything on the phone and use any sim card with it? thaaanks

Dennis S.
  • Forum posts: 699

Mar 1, 2010, 3:03:07 PM via Website

In Europe/Germany we cannot get the N1 officially but i try to help you:

1. Yes it is Sim-Lock free! You can use it with the provider of your choice!
2. Well yes, you can customize pretty much on the phone, not sure if it is everything but it infact is very much. And also you can install from any source you want without "jailbreaking" the phone and are not forced to use a certain market.

Fabien Röhlinger
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Forum posts: 3,855

Mar 1, 2010, 3:22:17 PM via Website

There is one more thing: the iPhone cannot run multiple apps at the same time. This can be pretty annoying at some point. For instance, you run an app for during a workout to track your speed, etc. You then get a phone call. The phone call terminates the other app and you have to resume after your call.

Dennis S.
  • Forum posts: 699

Mar 1, 2010, 3:27:02 PM via Website

oh yes the multi-tasking :)
this is one of the best things of the phone/android

Marius O.
  • Forum posts: 1,588

Mar 1, 2010, 6:21:10 PM via Website

Peter Long
especially the part about getting ripped off with the AT&T data plan)

first i have to say, i think the N1 is it worth

but if you're scared of get your data ripped, you may should collect some information about google. The are also collecting data

PS: if the syntax isn't correct, please tell me my mistakes ;)

Phil
  • Forum posts: 47

Aug 8, 2010, 2:40:20 PM via App

I've had a few smartphones, not alot but the N1 is my 3-4th one. It's the best phone if ever owned. Not perfect but a valueable addition in my daily life.
One of the main reasons this phone is so good is Android. After my last phone I promised myself I would not by a Wndows Mobile phone again. The aggrevation was daily and not something I wanted in my life anymore. Android just works, free to use for all features with the choice (yes, not forced) yours to support the apps you want and affect your life positively.
Multitasking is key. Open up as much as you want and Android will take care of handling the memory successfully.
The N1 has the hardware features to handle what you and Android throughs at it. The N1 is not the only choice but it's a good one. Personally, I would prefer a physical keyboard but I am living okay with the compromise. And that may be the key, buy the right hardware and Android should give you a happy experience.
Cheers,
Phil

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Aug 10, 2010, 11:09:27 AM via Website

Phil

The N1 is not the only choice but it's a good one. Personally, I would prefer a physical keyboard but I am living okay with the compromise. And that may be the key, buy the right hardware and Android should give you a happy experience.
Cheers,
Phil

I agree. Make sure you know what you are getting beforehand and there shouldn't be any bad surprises.

Evgeny Pitirimov
  • Forum posts: 15

Jun 12, 2013, 11:52:52 PM via Website

there is not enough integrated memory in it, but in the all other this one is really good, even for 2013.