Do I show up as "online" even when my WhatsApp app is closed?

• Replies:4
Dan Gove
  • Forum posts: 1

Feb 5, 2018, 9:06:18 PM via Website

Hello,
I'm wondering if I have whatsapp installed on my android cell phone but not running, meaning it doesn't show up when I press the recent apps button on my phone, will I show up as "online" to other whatsapp users in my contact list? I ask because a few days ago, a friend sent me a message asking me if I was available because she said she could see that I was online. However, I'm almost certain that I had ended the app about an hour earlier (tapped recent apps key then tapped the X on whatsapp. Also, let's say I do have whatsapp running but I'm using another app for example twitter, would I show up as online then? I'm assuming so considering I have the app open but want to be sure.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Feb 7, 2018, 12:25:27 PM via Website

May be the app is open in the foreground or background.You have to close it before locking your screen.

Ready To Help You.

Helpful?
samantha rodriguez

May 4, 2018, 7:53:42 AM via Website

No,it won't show online....but in some cases it does show online,you have to clear the app from background of your device.

Helpful?
Prashanth Meka

Dec 24, 2018, 11:41:14 AM via Website

Yes may be your account is signed in via WhatsApp web.

Helpful?
Eddy8754

Oct 10, 2019, 8:19:36 PM via Website

Okay so if the app is not cleared on the background but the internet is still on and push notifications pop up now and then, will it show ONLINE?

Helpful?