Samsung Galaxy S5 — New S5, apparently rooted. How to recover?

• Replies:2
Roger Cordrey
  • Forum posts: 3

Feb 24, 2017, 2:17:30 PM via Website

I have recently bought a 'new' S5 on Ebay. A virus checker program warned that the S5 has been rooted, and I have been unable to install some apps (such as Android Pay) because the system is considered insecure because of the rooting.

I am not sure what rooting is, but presume I need to set the S5 to Samsung/Android standard OS but have no idea how. Please assist.

Shankar Prasad Nandi
  • Forum posts: 27

Feb 25, 2017, 5:01:43 AM via App

The best thing is to download Samsung SmartSwitch on your laptop. Then connect your phone to your laptop, wait until SmartSwitch detects the mobile. Then go to the "emergency software recovery and initialization" option and the latest version of Android will be installed on your phone. That will also remove root.

Roger Cordrey
  • Forum posts: 3

Feb 25, 2017, 11:45:49 AM via Website

Thank you so much. I am not a techie, but I think I can follow your instructions.

However, before I do so, a couple of (probably inane) questions. The supplier says "The phone is Samsung S5 Verizon version so some of the applications may not be supported by this firmware" - is this correct, and is the 'Verizon version' a bona fide Samsung product?

Also, the phone is unlocked, enabling me to use my old SIM: is 'unrooting' and software recovery likely to change this (I don't know if the unlocking is the reason for the rooting)?