Samsung Galaxy S5 — Samsung Galaxy 5 - not connecting to 3G nor 4G

• Replies:23
Hazel Hunt
  • Forum posts: 6

May 20, 2014, 10:46:37 PM via Website

I've had my phone for a week and for some reason I only get 'H' or 'H+'. Due to this I am not able to use the internet fully and sometimes it is lagging or not working at all :( I've no idea why 3G nor 4G aren't working :(

The mobile network settings are on LTE/WCDMA/GSM so why does it not use 4G or 3G. The area that I am in is covered by 4G so I really do not know why.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to get 4G even 3G or have I been sold a faulty phone?

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

May 21, 2014, 6:55:15 AM via Website

Well, that's seems bit weird anyway have you tried switching the mobile network settings from LTE/WCDMA/GSM to Auto ? I would say try changing the network mode to something different and then again switch back to the LTE/WCDMA/GSM mode.

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

May 21, 2014, 12:28:07 PM via Website

Hey Hazel!

Go again to settings -> network connections -> more networks -> mobile networks -> network mode, and changed it from CDMA to LTE/CDMA. Reboot it first.

Otherwise, you can try fiddling around in the Available networks and check your provider information.

Another option would be to try toggling airplane mode to get it to connect.

If nothing seems to be working for you, I woudl suggest bringing your S5 back to where you got it to see if they can repair it. If they can't, they'll likely give you a replacement phone. Better to do that than always be frustrated!

Astrid Cline

Hazel Hunt

May 21, 2014, 9:12:51 PM via Website

John Farrell

Well, that's seems bit weird anyway have you tried switching the mobile network settings from LTE/WCDMA/GSM to Auto ? I would say try changing the network mode to something different and then again switch back to the LTE/WCDMA/GSM mode.

Hi John, it is automatically on auto. My phone states LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto). I tried as you suggested but this came up - see screenshotimage Do you have any idea what that is about?

Hazel Hunt

May 21, 2014, 9:20:54 PM via Website

Loie Favre

Hey Hazel!

Go again to settings -> network connections -> more networks -> mobile networks -> network mode, and changed it from CDMA to LTE/CDMA. Reboot it first.

Otherwise, you can try fiddling around in the Available networks and check your provider information.

Another option would be to try toggling airplane mode to get it to connect.

If nothing seems to be working for you, I woudl suggest bringing your S5 back to where you got it to see if they can repair it. If they can't, they'll likely give you a replacement phone. Better to do that than always be frustrated!

Hi Loie,

It is already on LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) which means it should automatically connect to 3G/4G but does not. I tried doing the settings again but to no avail. Also, see screenshot that I put in reply to John.

Can you explain or have any idea why I can't do anything about it? I am wondering if it is to do with my tarriff but that shouldn't make any difference. I literally bought it last Thursday so would the shop send it away or just handover a replacement........

When you said reboot, did you mean turn the phone off and then back on?

I look forward to your advice.

Lalit
  • Admin

May 22, 2014, 6:11:03 AM via Website

Yes, @Hazel this should pops out because while the data connection is active you can't change the network mode, I'll say just press okay and once the network will change your device will automatically switch the data connection active if your device still not activates the data connection for you you can tick the Mobile Data again everything is totally fine there is no need to worry about it.

Cathy Oney Custer

Hazel Hunt

May 22, 2014, 1:46:28 PM via Website

Hi John,

I pressed OK and I still got H+. :( I have taken it back to the shop and they did the same as you suggested. They are now sending me to the Samsung shop... What the Samsung shop can do that they couldn't do - I;ve no idea....

Thanks for your help. If you any other ideas, please let me know :)

Hazel

Lalit
  • Admin

May 23, 2014, 7:59:44 AM via Website

Well, I don't think they are going to do much more rather than factory resetting your device or they might flash the firmware again over to your device. But as I am not sure about what they are going to do, well, at least give them a visit who know your problem will get fixed.

Hazel Hunt

May 23, 2014, 11:54:18 AM via Website

I think they should just give me a new phone especially as it has not worked since I bought it................ but you know how it goes, they will send it off. I will have to pay a deposit to have another phone and then be given back someone elses phone............. Oh well. Thank you so much for your help. I shall let you know what happens.

Roopesh P
  • Forum posts: 1

May 24, 2014, 2:47:50 PM via Website

Hello,

Did you get any solution for your problem?? Its seems to be a software bug...better to contact to a nearest service center to get a solution. And please dont do any software work yourself as it can void your phone warranty and all latest galaxy models are coming with roll back prevention to block unauthorized software access..

Thank You!

Hazel Hunt

May 24, 2014, 4:05:04 PM via Website

Hi All,

It wasn't a software bug.

The problem was because my sim card was very old i.e. at least 10 years old. Changed the sim card and everything is all ok now :) 4G is working.

Hazel

Ervis Dushku

Lalit
  • Admin

May 26, 2014, 8:33:33 AM via Website

@Hazel, I am glad that you have came up with the solution, :) but do you know what's interesting about this query? :D We are preparing for the worse and the solution is just in the little thing that we never thought of !! :)

My1
  • Forum posts: 673

May 26, 2014, 9:08:46 AM via Website

I dont think you ALL get it completely.

H and H+ Refer to HSDPA(+) which you could call 3.5G or 3G Aadvanced or whatever. it is between 3G (UMTS) and 4G (LTE)
So in other words, he's connected to 3G the WHOLE TIME!

Especially Loie, I dont wanna talk bad about you nor I hate you or anything, but an Administrator and blogwriter of a Phone/Tablet blog doesnt realize it, I am but surprised, but PLEASE, dont take it personally...

@Hazel, do you have a plan that includes LTE?

also the Samsung galaxy 5 is something Completely Different than the Samsung Galaxy S5, and you have the S5.
also where are you from (country) and which carrier and plan do you use.

My theory is that you probably have a plan that allows a specific Traffic on Full 3G Speeds and then you get slowed to 2G speeds, but you can still connect to 3G.
Also here's a List of the Identifiers in order of speed (fastest first)

LTE/4G
H+ (explained above)
H (explained above)
3G (UMTS)
E (EDGE, something like 2.5G)
G (GPRS, 2G)

— modified on May 26, 2014, 9:12:22 AM

MFG/Regards My1

Lalit
  • Admin

May 26, 2014, 9:14:31 AM via Website

@Philipp Junghannß The problem with OP is solved as he mentioned that

"The problem was because my sim card was very old i.e. at least 10 years old. Changed the sim card and everything is all ok now :) 4G is working."

So, I think the problem is solved now !! you have been a bit late in responding to the Hazel query !! anyway thanks for your input @Philipp :)

My1

May 26, 2014, 9:43:51 AM via Website

I see. My fail. It was there standing in the left and looked like it was waiting for an answer and after the first bit of replies I simply thought wtf what are they thinking (no insult)... And completely overlooked the fact that it was cleared...

MFG/Regards My1

Lalit
  • Admin

May 26, 2014, 10:25:37 AM via Website

@Philipp Please just calm down what I am seeing from your all the posts that you're more onto complaining I am aware that you are having complete knowledge about the UMTS/LTE thing but this doesn't mean that you'll make ..... like I am seeing in your previous post I think there is a need for you to go through the forum Guidelines again. As this is a forum means everyone here is free to share their opinions but personal attacks and the language you are using like you keep on mentioning @admin Loie is just not acceptable. :( Try to accept the fact that everyone here is learning.

— modified on May 26, 2014, 10:27:15 AM

My1

May 26, 2014, 10:46:37 AM via Website

I did not want to insult or personally attack anyone, and I think I made that clear.
I said "I was surprised" not more not less, I didnt say that "she'd be dumb" or anything which is not my intention I stated multiple times I I am not going to attack or insult anyone.
also I am calm and I lined everything out since sometimes my usage of words is ackward and/or out of place and I am sorry for that and I'll apologize for everything caused by that, but partially (not entirely) I also have an Asperger Syndrome to blame

MFG/Regards My1

Mark Hawkins

Jun 18, 2014, 3:12:33 PM via Website

Hazel Hunt

Hi All,

It wasn't a software bug.

The problem was because my sim card was very old i.e. at least 10 years old. Changed the sim card and everything is all ok now :) 4G is working.

Hazel

Same problem here, upgraded to a 4G contract on my S5, since then no 4G, have spoken to Vodafone who suggested a couple of things, nothing worked. Changed the SIM, still the same. Vodafones advice - take it into a store, GREAT!

Vlad

Dec 29, 2014, 8:38:47 AM via Website

Check APN settings, there is Bearer, if it set to LTE phone will enable mobile data only when it is registered on LTE network. If you want to have mobile data on all networks (4G (LTE), 3G, (UMTS) GSM (GPRS/EDGE)) put Bearer Unspecified.

Sharon Thoms

Jan 13, 2015, 3:03:29 AM via Website

Hi all I'm havings problems connecting to the internet wifi is fine its through my mobile data that wont work. It has worked previously it seems to lose the settings then cant reconnect i noticed you mentioned bearer. My phone has no option for bearer could that be the problem. My phone was originally a telstra phone and i am using it with an optus sim card it calls and sends texts its just internet that is the problem

Caroline Phelan

Feb 26, 2015, 12:55:34 AM via Website

Hi

I have the same problem with my Samsung S5. I've sent screengrabs to my SIM provider who told me my phone didn't have the option of 4G, although my SIM card does!

I live in Uk and am with EE.

User uploaded photo
User uploaded photo

Ian Macalindin

Mar 6, 2015, 10:07:10 AM via Website

Hi there .... I had a similar problem in France and found that when the LTE/WDCMA/GSM network mode is selected, you must also have Data Roaming ticked - if you don't, the phone constantly loses network connectivity, although performing a reset can make it connect for a short period of time.

I think the problem is also worse in poor coverage areas.

If you dont want to enable data roaming to avoid excessive charges when abroad, then change the network mode to WDCMA/GSM - I found that this worked ok for me.

Carmen Martin

Aug 1, 2015, 12:28:47 PM via Website

My stupid husband put a password on my phone and claimed he didn't know it. Had to do a factory reset on it and now can't get my mobile data to work. Had thrown away paper after I had set up first time. How can I remedy this without having to get another Sim card?

Ervis Dushku

Aug 21, 2016, 10:45:08 PM via Website

Thanks man, I will try another sim card :D