Samsung Galaxy S3 t999 downgrade from 4.3 to 4.1.2

• Replies:2
James
  • Forum posts: 1

May 19, 2014, 5:30:23 PM via Website

I have a samsung s3 t999 and just upgrade it to 4.3 and trying to downgrade to 4.1.2 as per Kris' instruction. I've tried his method and nil. can you help please? a friend of mine tried to root it and it has a 1 on the counter, that's what he said. i don't know what that means. he said to make it zero again, still don't know what that means. Please help, I'd like to downgrade to 4.1.2 please thank you in advance for your help

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

May 21, 2014, 6:32:06 PM via Website

Hey @James, long story short, there's issues with some S3's being un-downgradeable after the update to Android 4.3 (thanks Knox!). I don't recall off the top of my head if the T999 is one of them. I believe it was the AT&T version, not the T-Mobile one...

I would suggest checking out this XDA Developers thread about switching 4.3 ROMs to solve issues. You may be better off just switching Jelly Bean ROMs than downgrading and possibly facing bricking issues.

As for your friend's comment, he means that your flash counter has increased by one. This is a trick the manufacturers use to know if you've been flashing firmware on your own (usually so they can deny you your warranty and service). But you can reset the flash counter to zero (not on all devices though). Here's a tutorial on reseting the flash counter to zero. The problem with that is if you have Knox already you can't use Triangle Away to reset the counter - this means your warranty is gone, so you may as well flash a custom ROM running on the 4.4 code base instead!

Let us know if none of this makes sense!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting