How to Hard Reset the Galaxy Tab 3

• Replies:97
  • Stickied
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

May 7, 2014, 1:50:16 PM via Website

Doing a hard reset on a device might be necessary when a simple factory reset via the Settings menu hasn't worked, or hen your screen won't turn or or device won't even boot up so you can access the settings menu.

Performing a Hard Reset via hardware buttons also gives you a little more control over the reset.

Note: Please make sure you have backed up all of your important data and apps before performing a reset.

• Turn your Galaxy Tab 3 off.
  • Press and hold the Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until you see an Android lying on its back. This is the - stock recovery screen.
  • Use the volume keys to scroll down to Wipe Data/Factory Reset and use the Power button to confirm.
  • Scroll down to Yes, Delete All User Data and hit Power to confirm.
  • Back on the first screen, scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition and select with power button.
  • Hit Reboot System Now to restart your Galaxy Tab 3 with factory settings restored.

Let us know if you have any problems.

— modified on May 7, 2014, 1:56:46 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Jose DejesusCarmelo DiazRik PeetersМаржан Якабитоcharlotte guestLorraine Hamiltontony appletonGettingbacktoit DeniseBlond_Wild_Child

Levi Norman
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 13, 2014, 6:13:34 AM via Website

Hello, I have my mom's Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, I tried performing the factory reset in the exact manner you have stated (and in other ways I've been told) and none of them actually work. Every time it simply starts the tablet and does nothing more. I'm trying to get past the lock screen because my mom forgot her password and can't remember it. I've tried holding the volume up and power: does nothing. I've tried holding volume up, power, and home: does nothing. I've tried plugging it into the computer USB port: does nothing because I can't access the settings to hook up to the USB rather than simply charge. I'm at a loss for what to do.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Oct 13, 2014, 2:58:54 PM via Website

Levi Norman

Hello, I have my mom's Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, I tried performing the factory reset in the exact manner you have stated (and in other ways I've been told) and none of them actually work. Every time it simply starts the tablet and does nothing more. I'm trying to get past the lock screen because my mom forgot her password and can't remember it. I've tried holding the volume up and power: does nothing. I've tried holding volume up, power, and home: does nothing. I've tried plugging it into the computer USB port: does nothing because I can't access the settings to hook up to the USB rather than simply charge. I'm at a loss for what to do.

Download the latest firmware from sammobile then Re-flash it with ODIN. simple!

— modified on Oct 13, 2014, 2:59:15 PM

Ready To Help You.

Luiz Neves

Jan 15, 2015, 5:10:23 PM via Website

Hello, I've tried this method and I've done the hard reset. But when it comes to the wipe cache partition part, it shows an error message (just that, no number or name of the error, only the word "error") and restarts the system. After that, the system remains slow, even though my files has been wiped out from the hard reset. How do I fix this error message to be able to wipe cache partition?

Kayla

Feb 10, 2015, 7:57:06 PM via Website

I tried this method and it isn't allowing me to reset. The screen show "Samsung Galaxy Tab 3" comes up then the screen goes black again.

The reason i'm trying to do this is because my warranty company replaced the battery now the battery only charges to 91%, they think this is a software issue. old me to do a factory reset.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Nick Honders

Mar 20, 2015, 4:43:47 PM via Website

Hey Kris Carlon,

My tablet doesn't react on anything that I do. I searched for help and then I found your help.
I did do exactly what you told, I hold on the three buttons you told to hold down, but also on that my tablet
doesn't react. It didn't show me the screen you explaint, but it keep's black.
Can you help me, please? I really need my tablet to functionate.

Please reply back.

greet's,

Nick Honders

Caitlan Russan

Apr 5, 2015, 6:18:01 PM via Website

hello I have followed the instructions and so far has been really helpful but what I get to the part where I have to click yes -- delete all user data it is going down 2 at a time and it is missing the option I need I either get the one above it and the one before it but not the one I need, what do I need to do?

Regard Caitlan

J. Alizon

Apr 18, 2015, 8:00:50 AM via Website

Thanks so much! This method worked perfectly for resetting my daughter's Galaxy Tab 3 (Kids)

At first the device started up when I held the three buttons, but it seemed to have worked after I powered it off again. This time pressing and holding the volume up, then the home and then the power.

Blond_Wild_Child

Blond_Wild_Child

May 18, 2015, 8:16:02 AM via Website

Thank you so much, it worked so well :D

J Brown
  • Forum posts: 3

May 26, 2015, 12:31:13 PM via Website

Hi,

My son has a Galaxy Tab 3 and has forgotten the password and username and his email account! I have tried to hard rest it back to factory settings but it won't scroll onto the correct line (wipe data/factory reset) but scrolls past it. Therefore I am still locked out. Have I missed something? Are you supposed to hold down the three buttons for a specified amount of time? Or hold your tongue in a special way by the light of the full moon?

I am feeling very frustrated and would really like some help.

Thanks.
J

J Brown

May 28, 2015, 1:44:38 AM via Website

Hi Caitlan,

I am having the same trouble. I can't scroll to the delete option. Did you find a solution?

Kind regards,

J

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

May 28, 2015, 7:12:15 AM via Website

J Brown

Hi,

My son has a Galaxy Tab 3 and has forgotten the password and username and his email account! I have tried to hard rest it back to factory settings but it won't scroll onto the correct line (wipe data/factory reset) but scrolls past it. Therefore I am still locked out. Have I missed something? Are you supposed to hold down the three buttons for a specified amount of time? Or hold your tongue in a special way by the light of the full moon?

I am feeling very frustrated and would really like some help.

Thanks.
J

Hey JBrown, Try following the steps again (Make sure you have backed up all of your important data and apps before performing a reset.)

Steps to Hard Reset:

• Turn your Galaxy Tab 3 off.
  • Now Press & hold the Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until you see an Android lying on its back.
  • Use the volume keys to scroll down to Wipe Data/Factory Reset and use the Power button to confirm.
  • Scroll down to Yes, Delete All User Data and hit Power to confirm.
  • Back on the first screen, scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition and select with power button.
  • Hit Reboot System
  • All done now to restart your Tab 3 with factory settings restored.

See if this fix things for you !!! :)

J Brown

May 28, 2015, 10:28:47 AM via Website

Hi Lalit,

Thank you for your help, but it still won't work. I get to the menu but the scroll jumps 2 options at a time. It jumps straight from "apply updates from external storage" down to "wipe cache partition".

J

Nataly D

Jun 17, 2015, 4:59:20 PM via Website

We have tried the following steps but when we try to press the power, home, and volume up button the usual Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 screen shows up. My husband and I dont know what to do now, since my son forgot his password and we need to hard reset it. What should we do?

Sue Darby

Jul 8, 2015, 10:31:01 PM via Website

Hi did anyone figure out how to get past this jumping two at a time and not been able to actually select wipe data/factory reset? I managed to once in about 30attempts now and then couldn't select the yes/confirm option on the next screen please help

Rocky Dsouza

Aug 8, 2015, 9:31:30 AM via Website

Sue Darby

Hi did anyone figure out how to get past this jumping two at a time and not been able to actually select wipe data/factory reset? I managed to once in about 30attempts now and then couldn't select the yes/confirm option on the next screen please help

Amanda white

Aug 22, 2015, 8:58:10 AM via Website

Worked first time. Thank you very much xx

Hammad Khalid

Aug 30, 2015, 11:17:43 AM via Website

Hi kris,

tried the method
When I get to the part
"Use the volume keys to scroll down to Wipe Data/Factory Reset and use the Power button to confirm."
as soon as i confirm it displays the word ERROR and then Auto reboots and turns on.

The reason i wont to reset is that every time I make changes in the tab settings or download and app like lets say skype
it always resets and deletes the app when i unlock the lock screen after a while.

any suggestion ?

Lisania Chung

Sep 9, 2015, 6:25:38 PM via Website

Hi my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 will not turn on. I have tried charging and it only heats up. I tried the above solution and still no result.

Tammy Reynolds

Sep 10, 2015, 12:23:59 AM via Website

We have tried the hard reset, but it will not turn on. The tablet won't turn on in general, what can we do next?

Tedra Breston

Oct 3, 2015, 5:21:34 PM via Website

I've using this method to rest my daughter's tablet I know it works because I've done on my own tablet, but it won't work on hers. I've tried every method. All it does is power up. Any suggestions

Miro Timko

Oct 11, 2015, 6:03:09 PM via Website

Hello,
I do exactly power button,volume up button and home button until on screen is appear but,since then is screen flashing 3 second black(off) and for 3 second on with name Sam.gal.tab3 and this is switching all the time on off,on off.On 3rd attempt I can switch it off complete but if I try again hard reset again do it same.Also if is off and I will put it on charge or on computer start do it same and never stop.can anybody help if is there any other way how to restart it?I tried power button,volume down and home button but it appear only question to download something but i dont have internet connection also because in meantime I had to change provider so i cant use wifi even if I join with hotspot on phone is seen is not connected....so I can download.is there any other way how to do it reset it put into working order?or any suggestion?

Jaison Cook

Oct 26, 2015, 1:45:02 AM via Website

For my Samsung, I had to hold the Power/Volume Up/and Home Button, until the first logo appears for a second, and then release the power button while continuing to hold the Volume Up/Home Buttons- then the Android appears.
Good Luck.

Simon ElderScott D.Michał KrawczykHelen JarvisPamela Dunnjustin verdiJohn Rankin

Dudley Walker

Nov 21, 2015, 10:08:46 PM via Website

Hi, Yes, I have this problem but found that actually it is scrolling one at a time but highlighting only every other line. count your button presses before pressing the power button and you will have the selection you need. If your not sure jut press in the direction you were going one more time so the highlighted text jumps two then push the opposite way once to get back to where you should be. Confused yet? 'cos I was

candim4n 1337Edgar Allen's Hoe

Edgar Allen's Hoe

Dec 4, 2015, 8:13:15 PM via Website

Having spent the entire day looking for a fix for this problem, and slowly loosing heart, till i came across Jaison's post, the man has saved the day. Those words .."hold the Power/Volume Up/and Home Button, until the first logo appears for a second, and then release the power button while continuing to hold the Volume Up/Home Buttons

saved the day.

Cheers buddy, yer a star! ;)

Michał KrawczykJoshua Nicholas

Naomi Onlinex

Dec 12, 2015, 11:58:10 PM via Website

really helped

Brian Kipling

candim4n 1337

Dec 13, 2015, 2:28:09 PM via Website

Thanks so much for this. Had to scrolls way too far for this solution. Made my day!!!

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 263

Dec 13, 2015, 7:15:00 PM via Website

Yeah, it saved me too, thanks for the update, mate.

Looking for security app? Try Leo Privacy Guard 3.0.

Join Our Christmas Contest by visiting our Facebook page LEO Privacy Guard

Lorraine Hamilton

Jan 15, 2016, 4:07:45 PM via Website

Was at my wits end after my tablet started acting up, not downloading or installing Apps, kept freezing. Factory Reset on tablet wouldn't work (nothing happened), tried your hard reset solution and it worked! Took a couple of tries but it has worked...thank you!

charlotte guest

Jan 16, 2016, 1:18:55 PM via Website

hi, i've had my tablet for about 3 years and i have used it alot. it has recently been saying to me that every thing has stopped responding. so i followed the steps you have given and know my tablet works perfectly, just like its just brand new.

thank you

fantasia00

Jan 19, 2016, 11:14:17 PM via Website

If the above did not work for you then you need to hold all 3 buttons in & a message in blue will come up at top of screen in blue (it will be small lettering & it will be quick) once you see that reboot message take your finger off of the power button while still holding the home & volume button.... You will then see the Android discribed above & you ca then follow above instructions.

Deactivated Account

Маржан Якабито

Feb 1, 2016, 7:51:35 AM via Website

Thank you! It helped.

Joel lopez

Feb 16, 2016, 2:33:24 PM via Website

My son got his galaxy tab 3 kids on kids mode, but I don't know the password. I have tried holding the power +volume up +home button, but have been unsuccessful, any other recommendations?

Javier Resendez

Mar 9, 2016, 5:53:09 PM via Website

I tried the hard reset and now when I try and turn it on it stays on the screen where it says " Samsung Galaxy Tab3". It won't move from there. I have attached a photo. I remember one of the times I tried rebooting it, it gave me a warning about not having an OS. I am not very tech savvy, so I'm not sure what a lot of these terms mean. Need some help. Thanksimage

Mick

Mar 19, 2016, 12:16:33 AM via Website

Hello,
When i try to to perform the factory reset i get an error.
e:format_volume: make_extf4fs failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p15.
what can i do??

Kenneth morris

May 26, 2016, 11:13:38 PM via Website

Hi i have done all things for hard reset but screen still only shows samsung galaxy tab 3 screen....whats next please?

Paul marcial

Jun 10, 2016, 6:33:31 PM via Website

Hi there.... thank you for your help... but it seems I'm still having trouble resetting my tab 3 8.0.
My tab wasn't charging or turning on.... so what I did was opening the cover, taking the battery out for 20 seconds and plugging it back in.... after that, the only thing that shows is the title page where the "Samsung tab 3" shows... but it stays there...

Enes Shabani

Jun 25, 2016, 2:34:09 AM via Website

I have tried to root my samsung galaxy tab 3 by the odin application, and when I rebooted it then the phone it got stuck in the boot loop and I can not even recover it as you are saying so I just can format it from pc. So if you can help me with this. I will be very happy. So tell me how to format it from pc.

Jaco van der Walt

Jun 29, 2016, 4:04:57 PM via Website

Hi There

Tab is in infinite boot loop.
When i try to enter diagnostic mode (power+vol up+home), when the Android on his back appears, it sais no command) and sticks there.

Alternative - trying to flash with odin. i am in the download menu.
Odin gives me Fail.

Added!!
Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
File analysis..
SetupConnection..
Complete(Write) operation failed.
All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Any advice?

thanx

— modified on Jun 29, 2016, 4:20:22 PM

Andary Voss

Jul 27, 2016, 6:02:39 AM via Website

After following the steps you listed, my tablet is still stuck on the screen with the word SAMSUNG on it. Is there something else I can do? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jelvita Espinoza

Jul 30, 2016, 8:54:07 PM via Website

I have been stuck in my sons kid mode lock screen and I can't figure out what he put as a password and I have tried to reset it with the power button and the home button method but it doesn't work (I know I left out the volume button)

Rob Braisted

Aug 18, 2016, 9:39:59 PM via Website

I get the error screen and I go through the steps outlined but it doesn't work.

Then I get the following :

# MANUAL MODE #
-- Appling Multi-CSC...
Applied the CSC-code : XAR
Successfully applied multi-CSC.

Then it just sit's there.

What next?

— modified on Aug 18, 2016, 9:40:45 PM

Hadi Jafri

Aug 29, 2016, 11:17:25 AM via Website

I did factory reset on my galaxy tab e. it done well but the issue is i forgot my email id and password as well. now i need your help to fix this .. please help.

luvinmeaintez

Sep 1, 2016, 5:07:54 AM via Website

I've done these steps and such far it has reset but I'm still locked out as it keeps saying please enter the email sysned with this tablet which was my son's email should've been since it was a gift to him in the first place and the only one to set it up from the box. So now what do I do? Cause his tablet won't start up after this hard reset?????

Jakob Aragon

Sep 30, 2016, 4:11:47 AM via Website

hi, have you found a solution for your tablet's problem? Mines is acting the same way, it will show the logo such as "samsung galaxy tab 3" but then the screen just goes black right after that.

Lisa Fitz

Oct 20, 2016, 8:52:37 PM via Website

Thank you, that did work on mine.

Emad Refai

Oct 25, 2016, 11:59:12 AM via Website

download for ever not working

traci v

Nov 5, 2016, 11:15:08 PM via Website

Here's what I found:

Step one: Power off device

Step two: Press the up button (next press the home button) finally press the power button so now all 3 are pressed together...once I saw the samsung logo pop up (after unsuccessful tries) I let go of all buttons and low and behold...the screen to select data reset appeared. From then I used the volume up and down to navigate between items....then selected the factory data reset option, clicking on the power button to select it, next I used arrows to go down to YES to get rid of all data and again click power button to select...and then voila!!!! It was magic.

I think they're wrong in saying you need to HOLD the 3 buttons UNTIL the green android appears..this only power cycled mine each time...when I held these 3 buttons together and then LET GO once the SAMSUNG logo appeared, the android guy finally came up.

Hopefully this helps someone else going nuts with this thing!!! Best of luck and blessings!

Aereal Haugen

Nov 12, 2016, 8:58:51 PM via Website

I am having the same issue my sonson tablet just blacks out very hard to turn on and sometimes won't charge.. is it donzo?

kristie melvin

Dec 3, 2016, 6:32:30 PM via Website

this is not working for mine . can someone help and possibly tell me another way to do this ?