Epic fails in flagship smartphones

• Replies:4
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Oct 28, 2013, 11:55:40 AM via Website

The iPhone 5s and 5c have just been demonstrated to be outclassed by the Galaxy S3 in terms of touchscreen accuracy. What other epic fails have you seen in flagship smartphones?

Here's a couple to get you started:
  • The iPhone's TouchID sensor getting hacked within hours of the device becoming available, and the ability to make regular phone calls through the emergency dialer.
  • The Play Store fiasco immediately following the Nexus 4's launch.
  • The LG G2 publicity stunt that featured fans wielding BB guns and spears, resulting in 20 people getting injured in the scramble.

— modified on Oct 28, 2013, 11:58:01 AM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Oct 29, 2013, 1:39:16 PM via Website

One thing that I consider to be a big fail and many users might agree with me, is bloatware on the part of Samsung with their Galaxy S4. 5 months ago, I wrote an article about how Samsung used up 45% of the Galaxy S4's 16 GB for all their software features, leaving the user with very little to use. The comments were a mix of some agreeing with me and others shocked at how dare I speak badly of their beloved Samsung. However, that doesn't change the fact that this is true and this is the case with many smartphones nowadays.

Joel wrote an article about Bloatware for beginners last week for beginners to give you a better idea of what it means.

Amy R.
  • Forum posts: 238

Oct 29, 2013, 3:54:34 PM via App

@Loie- Ya Samsung sure failed (or were a complete success through their eyes) to completely bloat up that model!!!!!!

@Kris- You're serious about the making regular calls through the emergency dialer function?..............If that is true then..EEK!!!

— modified on Oct 29, 2013, 3:55:19 PM

"You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here & So Am I" - FZ

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Oct 29, 2013, 8:29:41 PM via Website

Yep, totally true @Amy. I can only assume they have patched it by now though, but there was a video showing that if you just keep hitting ''Call'' that the phone will crash and restart and the phone call will go through in the background. Super sketchy.

I too hate the bloatware space waste - why on earth would I care about the capacity of the phone that I can't use? It's the same as the Samsung benchmark stuff I've written about - I understand why some people appreciate the outer limits of what the phone can do, but if you can never access that kind of performance why would I even care? It's like saying I can fly but I'll never show you. Same with memory, if I can only use 11 GB of 16 GB, then that's the number I want to know!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

My1
  • Forum posts: 673

Nov 3, 2013, 12:37:50 PM via App

even though it's not achieved via bloatware,hdd and memory card manufacturers are not better.my 2tb hdd has actually just 1.8tb...where are my 200 GB of space???
anyway bloatware is annoying on any phone and i am happy having way more space on my brand new (friday) note 3 than on the note 2...
but one of the most epic fails is that I had 2 note 2 devices and together they had freaking EIGHT or NINE times of going into warranty do they have idios in their repair centers?
but I sure had nice timings...
when I had to buy a new one the first time ,I got into the gigabyte weeks promotion giving me a free 64 GB micro sd card... and the second time i ket my money (or rather Saturn gift card with that value) and went for the not 3 as soon as my pocket money and the price met each other...
warranty is not random. It's about having luck, skill and most of all, timing...

MFG/Regards My1