Android modder

• Replies:29
David D.
  • Forum posts: 77

Sep 28, 2013, 7:47:11 PM via App

★☆★☆★☆★
Hi guys,
I'm David.
I like modding, flashing ROMs, undervolting, overclocking, etc. I'm new to this forum but I'm looking to gather info on tweaks, hacks and mods.
See ya,
David
★☆★☆★☆★

Amy R.
  • Forum posts: 238

Sep 29, 2013, 1:08:23 AM via App

Hi David, Nice to meet you!

Maybe you can be the one who can convince me to root my device. Have this bad habit of always chickening out.

"You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here & So Am I" - FZ

David D.

Sep 29, 2013, 9:20:46 AM via App

Hey Amy, sure. I'll do my best. What device do you have?

— modified on Sep 29, 2013, 4:21:42 PM

Amy R.

Sep 29, 2013, 5:47:53 PM via Website

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 with Jellybean 4.1.2, was checking out Cyanogenmod (for my version) or at least a more appropriate way to "Tame the Android Beast".

Haven't had much experience with Mods or custom Roms. Have lots of experience with using Linux, old Java language, and command building. As odd as it sounds, I would like to "degoogle" my device as much as possible without losing the Android functionality of it. More concerned about potentially wrecking my system though. It appears after rooting, there is no turning back.

Any suggestions?

-Thank You for any input you can provide

David D.

Sep 30, 2013, 7:05:03 AM via App

Since I have to give/ask more than one answer/question , I'll number them.

1.By 'degoogle', do you mean removing all Google apps like Gmail, Google Now, etc.?

2.As for uprooting, it is possible. I unrooted my Note 2 using Odin. (Everything became original-like how it was on the first day)

3.Are you clear with the rooting procedure? Check out XDA (Sorry, I can't post links in this forum)

— modified on Sep 30, 2013, 7:05:37 AM

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Sep 30, 2013, 5:11:38 PM via Website

Hey David, welcome to AndroidPIT and to the the forums. It's great to have another modder join the ranks! And if you want to post a link for Amy just msg it to me and I'll add it for you. But in the meantime Amy, just go to xda-developers.com and search for your device. You'll find all the ROMs you could ever want there. Just be sure when you do root and mod your tablet, that you have the right ROM for your device!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

David D.

Sep 30, 2013, 6:39:00 PM via App

Or before you dive into rooting, do you want to learn about the many benefits of rooting?

David D.

Sep 30, 2013, 6:43:34 PM via App

Hey dude, I'm glad to join a new forum!
Do you know any great mods for GT-I9500(Exynos octa core)? Or any nice Xposed modules? Or maybe some nice app to tweak kernel settings further? Thanks in advance!

Amy R.

Sep 30, 2013, 10:22:07 PM via Website

1) Besides my Gmail, I disabled everything else Google (I treat it like bloat ware). I'd like to permanently remove it along with other bloat ware that I have disabled (over 1/3 of the original apps that came with device).

2) I'll research odin.**Problem/Question: I invested a lot of money & time in the programing I installed. Is there a way to keep them and without doing a hard reset? **

3) I have a vague understanding of the rooting process (used mostly network computers in the past). Do you have any recommendations on books on rooting/superuser and the recent Java command structure. Something I've always been interested about. I'll also check out XDA and info they provide.

***I would love to learn as much as I can about rooting and it's benefits. Sorry if I sound eager. Reasurch is the key.***

You are the best!!!

p.s. Thank you for the website name Kris

— modified on Sep 30, 2013, 10:33:13 PM

David D.

Oct 1, 2013, 6:26:16 AM via App

Ah Samsung bloat ware! It can only be removed completely after rooting.

As for your applications, you can download them anytime again for free(even paid ones) from the Play store. (Menu->My apps->All) BTW all my apps were safe after I rooted.

As for material on rooting, your best source is XDA(Kris gave the link I see (y)) because there you get up to date information on rooting unlike books which get outdated pretty quick.

As for knowledge on this subject I don't know how others acquired it but I got it through experience which is a great teacher IMHO. I rooted some devices, changed ROMS, etc. and became familiar with it.

Amy R.

Oct 1, 2013, 9:15:34 PM via App

Just to confirm, after you rooted, the apps you installed still remained ok? I don't use Google Play. Majority of my apps were obtained through other markets (they may have different policies).

Has Java changed to an object language? Looks different from when I used it in the past.

David D.

Oct 2, 2013, 3:03:19 AM via App

Yes, all my apps were safe with data. The only thing rooting does is install a system application called 'super user' that grants you high level or administrator privileges for your device and makes you a er.... Super user!

As for java, sorry, Idk.

I also want to add here that rooting
1.voids your warranty
2.compromises on the security Android devices have built in and
3.is potentially dangerous because once you grant an app root access, it can do anything with your device

— modified on Oct 2, 2013, 3:22:24 AM

David D.

Oct 2, 2013, 3:24:53 AM via App

I don't want to scare you but I must advise you to remove sensitive information from your device as you never know what could possibly happen. If you're okay with all these things, then go ahead!

Amy R.

Oct 2, 2013, 11:02:19 PM via Website

David Dave
Yes, all my apps were safe with data. The only thing rooting does is install a system application called 'super user' that grants you high level or administrator privileges for your device and makes you a er.... Super user!

As for java, sorry, Idk.

I also want to add here that rooting
1.voids your warranty
2.compromises on the security Android devices have built in and
3.is potentially dangerous because once you grant an app root access, it can do anything with your device

No problem, I know. I'll do some more research for now before diving into anything.

One last guestion: Should I be turning off my data flow b4 I root or do SU functions? My note has a modem built in, device tends to get excessively pinged...........

— modified on Oct 2, 2013, 11:03:28 PM

David D.

Oct 4, 2013, 1:37:19 PM via App

What exactly do you mean by data flow?
Do you mean Internet requests?

( Sorry for the delay-school started here after a break.)

Amy R.

Oct 4, 2013, 3:20:21 PM via App

I will try to answer all of your questions so you can better understand my situation.

— modified on Oct 4, 2013, 3:56:46 PM

Amy R.

Oct 4, 2013, 3:20:46 PM via App

The majority of it was not triggered by regular app and systems process. You probably won't believe me but I'll tell you anyway (the short version).

The excessive ping is a "Google thing" I've been dealing with about a week and a half after I got this device. I was troubleshooting the issue for over a month before I could actually confirm Google as the source. My cell provider didn't care because it was out of their hands, after saying it appears to be malicious behavior. Google tech support admitted they the source of the excessive hits my Android system was taking and stated it was due to "security".

Left me paranoid. So far, no matter where I go for assistance, once I mention google, they avoid the subject and assisting me any further. It was killing my data use and crashing my system. I placed a series of blocks in my system and disabled all non vital components to the Android running process (,without utilizing root). Besides the use of gmail, stopped using all google services. This is what I meant by "degoogle". I had to kick google out of my device inorder to keep them from further probing my system.

My system runs beautiful after I've done this. The pinging has slowed down some, but is still there. Only difference now is that my system will no longer allow it entry.

If I open and expose the root with my data flow on, It tears down the defences I put up. This will leave my entire system exposed. This is when I usually chicken out when it comes to rooting.

-I hope this gives some clarification to what questions you have.

— modified on Oct 4, 2013, 3:52:00 PM

David D.

Oct 4, 2013, 6:43:38 PM via App

Actually, after you root your device, everything remains the same-just like how it was before you rooted it!

Your 'blocks' I assume consist of primarily disabling the system processes and apps which Google pings your device with.

With this in mind, if you have root access, you can DELETE the bloatware completely, leave alone disabling.

NB. Once you delete a system process or app necessary for the operating system, then the only way to go back is by unrooting your device.

David D.

Oct 4, 2013, 6:44:37 PM via App

BTW, why didn't you try a firewall app?

Amy R.

Oct 4, 2013, 7:14:03 PM via Website

David Dave
BTW, why didn't you try a firewall app?

I told you only a fraction of my experience. Actually, I use Mobiwol No Root Firewall. A REAL LIFESAVER and what I use for blocking.

Have 2 problems with it though:

1) It only blocks by application and not by host or a partial with basic command set

2) It doesn't call up VPN Client on start up. The most it will do is have the app screen call up about 5 seconds after boot then ask you if you "trust it". Once you accept, it will start up. Personally, the process is getting a little old for me. Been using it for months now and just want it to start automatically after boot...............

With what reasurch I've done, everything I want to do and use requires root access.

-Beginning to feel a little restricted with standard Android setup................

— modified on Oct 4, 2013, 7:16:00 PM

David D.

Oct 5, 2013, 10:00:22 AM via App

Yes, your frustration with stock Android is what I felt so I rooted all devices I've used so far at some point. To be free!

Try startup manager on Play store
(I'm unable to post links for some reason unknown to me.)

David D.

Oct 5, 2013, 10:05:26 AM via App

I can't see my past 2 posts. I don't know why . If you are able to see them, send me a message confirming you've read them. ^_^

David D.

Oct 5, 2013, 11:13:33 AM via App

Can you please tell me which system processes and apps you disabled? I would like to do that too.

Amy R.

Oct 5, 2013, 1:10:30 PM via App

David Dave
I can't see my past 2 posts. I don't know why . If you are able to see them, send me a message confirming you've read them. ^_^

Yes, I selected link and went to play store site. Startup Manager sounds interesting but am almost certain it won't enhance the boot process of Mobiwol No Root Firewall. Mobiwol is already set to start at boot. When I reviewed it's manifest, the routine it does is actually written into the program itself (can't be altered or changed). My hacking abilities only go so far...........................

Amy R.

Oct 5, 2013, 1:10:53 PM via App

As for your second question.

If I gave you a list of everything I've done, the list would be well over 3 pages long................

-You stated in your other thread (Notifications), the email attached your account is not the email you use, correct?

-Can you still receive and read emails from it?

If you can receive and read mail with the email attached to your account, I can send you a message through your profile page (website) and give you my email. I would like to discuss this topic further.............Are you ok with that?

— modified on Oct 5, 2013, 1:25:33 PM

David D.

Oct 5, 2013, 3:01:53 PM via App

Yep. Sure. I'll start checking my email account.

Amy R.

Oct 5, 2013, 3:34:36 PM via Website

David Dave
Yep. Sure. I'll start checking my email account.

-K, start checking

David D.

Dec 23, 2013, 7:01:28 AM via App

So, Amy, have you rooted your Note?

David D.

May 11, 2014, 11:13:46 AM via App

So, how's it going now? Rooted?