Hard Reset your Samsung Galaxy Note 2

• Replies:159
  • Stickied
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Aug 1, 2013, 6:22:15 PM via Website

Performing a Hard Reset on your device is simple as pie. The difference between a Factory Reset and a Hard Reset is:

Factory Reset
The 'lighter' of the two reset options. It can be done either in settings or via recovery menu. It wipes all user data and firmware settings, but leaves the contents of your internal SDcard intact.

Hard Reset
Restores a smartphone to its basic factory settings, which erases all applications that were installed by the user as well as all user data. Hard Reset wipes everything including the contents of your internal SD Card. Whatever firmware you last flashed will be the firmware you get back, but everything else will be wiped.

Clear? Ok, let's proceed with the Hard Reset for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
  1. Turn your phone off.
  2. With the phone off, press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key. You'll see the Android recovery screen.
  3. Scroll to Wipe Data/Factory Reset using the Volume Up or Down keys. Select with the power key.
  4. Scroll down to Yes, Delete User Data and select it.
  5. Back on the first screen, scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition and select it.
  6. Your factory reset is now complete.
  7. Go to Reboot System Now to restart the phone.
Let us know if you have any questions or problems.

— modified on Apr 2, 2014, 3:50:56 PM by moderator

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

nimitr konggun

Kris Carlon

Aug 1, 2013, 6:48:24 PM via Website

You can also perform a Factory Reset from within the menu settings:

Settings > Back up and reset > Factory data reset > Reset device > Erase everything.

Please remember to back up any data you want to keep first!

Alternatively, you can type in *2767*3855# on the key pad and that will do the same thing.

— modified on Aug 1, 2013, 6:58:06 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Kay Zee
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 4, 2013, 7:03:33 PM via Website

Why do i reset to wipe out all my data . Threat??

Kris Carlon

Aug 5, 2013, 10:32:04 AM via Website

Hi Kay Zee, the most common reason to reset is to try to fix performance issues or to clean out your phone. For example, when you delete apps or move them to SD storage, you might still have random bits left over, a reset will clear all those out, giving you a fresh phone. Also, sometimes the only way to get rid of adware or malware problems is to do a factory reset. It's also not a bad idea to do a factory reset every now and then just to keep your phone running at it's best.

— modified on Nov 21, 2013, 11:31:10 AM

nimitr konggun

Asif Siddiqi

Aug 7, 2013, 12:05:41 PM via Website

What do you recommend in terms of taking back up. I would prefer a non rooted answer. I'm using Mobile Go and pretty satisfied with it.
What's your take?

nimitr konggun

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Aug 7, 2013, 12:10:45 PM via Website

Hey Asif!

There are some apps out there which are quite good for backing up your data. A good one I know is Carbon (not the Twitter client). Here in our blog, we explain how to use this with AND without rooting your phone. Hope that this helps!

Cheers!

Hana

Oct 20, 2013, 12:01:57 AM via Website

Hi !! I have Sumsung galaxy note 2 phone and it keep restarting so i cant use it. I wanted to hard reset i tried to reset using your recomendation but its not working. Even when i turn off the phone it keep back on by itself. Is there anything else i can do? Please i need help.

Kris Carlon

Oct 21, 2013, 6:07:22 PM via Website

Hi @Hana, let me get this straight: your Note 2 keeps turning off and back on, regardless of whether it is turned on or off in the first place? This is a major problem and sounds like you might have internal hardware problems. If a Hard Reset isn't even solving the problem you might need to contact Samsung directly, because this is no normal problem.

Luis Fer
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 7, 2013, 6:40:58 AM via Website

Hi I have a Note 2 and few weeks ago it doesn't turn the screen I think its the accelerator but Im not sure. Please help me what can I do?

Kris Carlon

Nov 7, 2013, 11:43:29 AM via Website

Hi @Luis, did anything happen to the device (like dropping it or getting it wet?). If not, try hard resetting it, and if the display doesn't work at all during this process you might be facing a dead screen. In that case you'd need to contact the manufacturer or the place you bought it from and see what can be done. Has anyone else had this type of problem with their Note 2?

Natalie Midkiff

Nov 14, 2013, 9:16:42 PM via Website

For the past week or so my phone battery life has been horrid. Even while charging the battery depletes at an alarming rate. I have switched chargers to see if that is the issue and ordered a new battery but I am wondering if a factory or hard reset may help in any way.

Kris Carlon

Nov 15, 2013, 10:42:16 AM via Website

Hi @Natalie, it could be the case that your Note 2 battery has simply given up the ghost, although usually you should get two to three years out of a battery. But if you're on your Note 2 all the time and have put it through a lot of charge cycles then it will die sooner rather than later. So it's probably good that you've ordered a new battery although battery life diminishes over time, not usually within a week. You could try a Factory Reset (which would be a good idea prior to putting the new battery in) to clear out any gremlins that might be lurking in your system. That, combined with a new battery should have your Note 2 working at the best level possbile. Just make sure you do a backup of all your data before you reset! let me know if the problem persists even with the new battery.

Kuro Neko

Nov 15, 2013, 4:51:19 PM via Website

Hi, I have some problems with my Android (Samsung Galaxy Note 2)
while i use my phone, suddenly it's turn black. And I can't turn it on.
I can't hard reset my phone too.

If I press the power button, i can see the screen turn lighter for 1-2 seconds, even it still blank.
Can you tell me what happend with my phone?

Nick Moore

Nov 17, 2013, 5:34:44 PM via Website

Hi, I have a note 2 that my friend rooted for me. He told me it would make it better, but its made it slower and I cant up date my software. If I do this hard reset, as the phone is now, will it work? Or do I have to unroot it first?

Kris Carlon

Nov 19, 2013, 12:43:27 PM via Website

Hi @Nick, rooting your phone doesn't speed up your device - it just gives you access to do the kinds of things that could speed up your device. If you want to unroot your Note 2 there's a good few examples on this thread at XDA Developers. Hard resetting will simply wipe everything from your Note 2 and will, in general, clear up the majority of lags and other performance issues on a device that hasn't been in use for a while.

Kris Carlon

Nov 19, 2013, 12:46:19 PM via Website

Hi @Kuro - is the device getting sufficient power? What you're describing sounds like the battery is completely dead and thus can't power the screen, except for a second or two when you hit the power button. Have you tried turning it on when it connected to the wall socket/power outlet? Other than that I'm not sure what the problem might be. What happens when you do the button combination for a Hard Reset? Do you get to the Recovery screen? Or is it just black all the time?

Camilla

Nov 19, 2013, 2:59:56 PM via Website

Hi, I want to reset my Note 2 to get rid of bugs that keep making the screen stop responding among other thing, and I probably just want to use hard reset so I know everything will be in place. My question is what is ment by "you can't use files from SD-card after reset to fabricsettings (or factory-?)". This (or something like this (it is in Norwegian)) is what it says when I enter the reset settings. It says the reset will remove the key for decrypting files at the SD-card. Does it mean my SD-card won't work after a reset, at all? I know all my files will be gone, but I want my SD-card to work :p

Christine
  • Forum posts: 3

Nov 20, 2013, 9:31:13 AM via Website

Hi, I have a 2 week old note 2 that's already giving me some issues. 1.One of which is that the screen doesn't timeout sometimes. This seems to be random as it happened on various screens (open apps as well as while on the home screen). I tried looking at the apps with wake lock options and don't see anything out of the ordinary. I had another note 2 prior to this new one and had the same apps installed on it, but it never gave me this screen issue. 2.Also, sometimes when I swipe the screen on the lock screen to answer an incoming call, it hangs up instead picking up, and once the screen even froze (I swiped and nothing happened). 3. Lastly I used an app called USER DICTIONARY to add words I often use to the phone, my previous Note 2 keyboards picks up all the new words I added, but this new phone doesn't. I think there r a couple of other small glitches but I can't remember right now. It just seems this phone is very buggy compared to the previous one I had, unfortunately that one was stolen :(
Thanks in advance!

Kris Carlon

Nov 20, 2013, 5:56:37 PM via Website

Hi @Camila, you are correct, if you perform a Hard Reset you will lose all data on your internal memory because the encryption key will be lost too - meaning any files on there will no longer be accessible, even if you were to recover them. The simple solution is to perform a full backup using whatever system you like (app, root tool, cloud, manual backup) and then go ahead, then you can restore anything you like and be rid of any of the things that may have been causing the lags and bugs in the first place. But your SD card will still work after a Hard Reset, you will simply get a new encryption key after the Reset.

Kris Carlon

Nov 20, 2013, 6:01:34 PM via Website

Hey @Christine. Where did you get the Note 2 from (second hand or retailer?) and what version of Android are you running on it? Has it updated to 4.3 yet or are you still on 4.1.2? If you are happy to do a backup you can do a reset (Factory or Hard) and start over, if you didn't do so when you got it (assuming it wasn't brand new). If it was brand new I'd simply take it back and let Samsung/the retailer deal with it. And if you haven't already updated to 4.3 hold off until you know the update is performing better than it is on the S3 and S4 (there's LOTS of issues right now!)

Camilla

Nov 20, 2013, 9:06:04 PM via Website

Okay, thanks. But I think my SD-card already has managed to delete everything that it contained :p It has been telling me at 2 times that it need to be formated before I can use it, and I did. I don't even know what it contained, exept some pictures I just took. Does this mean I SHOULD hard reset my phone, and that the problem with the SD-card probably will be solved then?

Christine

Nov 21, 2013, 9:27:50 AM via Website

Hi Kris, thanks for the reply. I bought the phone brand new. I live in Malaysia right now and it's a huge hassle to take the phone back because once the retailer sells the phone, they'd have nothing else to do with it. I'd have to take it to a Samsung service center and I'll have to leave the phone with them for weeks. Very inconvenient. I'm not sure what version firmware it's running on. But when I check for updates in Settings, it says all software is up to date. Do you think it'll help if I do a factory reset?

Thanks!
Christine

p.s. I feel this new phone is different out of the box from the one that was stolen. I only lost it a month ago so I believe the previous one was running on the same firmware. But it had different apps installed on it (such as photo editor) out of the box, and the new phone doesn't. And this is probably silly, but the messages notification light for the previous phone was green and this new one is blue. I just think it's weird. I bought both phones brand new.

Kris Carlon

Nov 21, 2013, 11:24:41 AM via Website

Hmm, @Camila, so you've lost data and reformatted your SD card already but it still won't work? If everything is already gone then yes, I would definitely perform a Hard Reset and check back in here if there's still a problem.

— modified on Nov 21, 2013, 11:25:27 AM

Kris Carlon

Nov 21, 2013, 11:41:17 AM via Website

Hi @Christine, do you think you might not have an original Note 2? Was the place you bought it from reputable? I don't know Malaysia very well, but I know South East Asian electronics are riddled with fakes of varying quality (I bought a fake iPhone 5 running Android just for kicks and it's very hard to spot the difference). That could possibly be the problem, but a trip to the service center would quickly determine if that is the case. in the meantime I don't know what else you can do if the retailer wouldn't refund or replace it and a service center vacation isn't on the cards.

For your screen timeout issue, you can check your Display settings and what you've got your screen set to, but this wouldn't explain why the screen only turns off in some apps and not others. It makes sense that some apps control the screen, but not to have it never shutting off on the home screen. The slide to answer problem is beyond my technical knowledge but the dictionary app problem sounds like it might actually be the app's problem, not the device's. Perhaps double check the app settings to make sure it's syncing with your Note 2.

And then I'd recommend doing a full back of your apps and data and performing either a Factory or Hard Reset and see if the problems are gone.

— modified on Nov 25, 2013, 1:01:07 PM

Clark Reid

Nov 21, 2013, 10:46:36 PM via Website

Hi, I've had my Samsung galaxy note 2 for a few months now and it wont charge at all. It died off completely and when I tried to plug it in it didn't work. I noticed the charger was a bit worn and bent a little so I borrowed my friends but it still doesn't want to charge, at first it kept popping up with the battery sign with the circle in it then it went away but then never actually charged. I unplugged it and tried again a few times but then after the 3rd-4th attempt it randomly showed a full green battery on the screen with the words 100% on it then it went away and my phone hasn't been able to turn on or even give any sign of it trying to charge anymore. I don't know what to do, a lot of people told me to try and factory reset it but I cant even get it to work for that either. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or had been through this before.

aditya shah

Nov 22, 2013, 7:00:36 AM via Website

hi,
i have rooted my device and want to unroot it can i do a factory reset or hard reset to remove it from my note 2 cause my ota update and knox function doesnt work.

Christine

Nov 23, 2013, 5:45:38 PM via Website

Thanks again for getting back to me. I did purchase my phone from a reputable retailer. My phone has had some new issues in the past couple of days, freezing up and restarting on its own while I was using an app. Guess I'll have to take it to the service center and see what they can do. Makes me hate the thief who stole the previous Note 2 even more, ugh...

Kris Carlon

Nov 25, 2013, 12:55:58 PM via Website

Hi @Clark, here's a fix we got for a Galaxy Nexus ages ago that has solved many charging problems and may well work on your Note 2 as well. Check the USB port on your Note and look to see if the ''tab'' inside might be a little bent. Take the battery out of your Note 2 and gently lever the tab up towards the center of the port a little (but be VERY careful!) and then reinsert your battery and then try to charge again. It seems many Galaxy Nexuses had the same problem with poor contact, so give it a shot and let me know if it helped. And in keeping with galactic forum mojo protocol, thanks go to the OP of the fix: @Marchino!

— modified on Nov 25, 2013, 12:56:15 PM

Kris Carlon

Nov 25, 2013, 1:00:24 PM via Website

Hey @Aditya, factory or hard resetting will not affect root access. The only thing that does is flashing official firmware. So all you need to do is flash official firmware from Samsung via Odin and you should lose root and regain OTA update functionality. In case you still have root (just use an app to check) after you flash the firmware, just use an unroot tool and then reflash.

Hi @Christine, have you done a Factory or Hard Reset yet? I'd suggest backing up and trying one or both of those methods first before you do the whole service center thing, especially if it's a pain and will keep your Note 2 out of your hands for ages.

— modified on Nov 25, 2013, 1:03:39 PM

Nick Moore

Nov 25, 2013, 7:24:53 PM via Website

Hi Kris - your last answer was too vague. Will my phone (considering it is rooted) be ok after after a hard reset without unrooting first? Do I have to unroot before a hard reset? Or will it brick if I reset without unrooting?

Kris Carlon

Nov 26, 2013, 8:41:59 PM via Website

Hi @Nick, my apologies, I thought you were more concerned with speeding up your Note 2 than with losing root. Having root on a device (generally) doesn't make a difference to performing a hard reset. It's a system privilege and Hard Reset is simply a way to wipe and reformat your device. Sometimes you might lose root after doing a reset, but it's easy to get back if you do (and you want it, of course!). But there are always cases where all hell breaks loose no matter how by-the-book you might have gone, so I don't want to offer any guarantees. If it makes you feel more secure, I would simply unroot then hard reset then get root back if you want it. And don't forget to back everything up!

Darius

Nov 30, 2013, 1:46:02 PM via Website

hey i have an app that keep on crashing when ever i open it .... how do i check whether if any other apps is interfering with it ?

Djide Togoumas

Dec 1, 2013, 3:57:45 AM via Website

Hello,

My galaxy note 2 bugged so i turned it off.When i tried turn on it get stuck on samsung logo.I tried to do factory reset by using up volume,home and turning buttons.When i do so i only get android logo and couple of minute later it gets buck to samsung logo.I changed the battery with new one but still getting same problem.
Please can you advise?

Kris Carlon

Dec 2, 2013, 3:40:48 PM via Website

Hi @Darius, what kind of app is it? The easiest thing to do is to remove the app temporarily and see if there's any other problems. Then reinstall and see if the problem persists. Check the comments for the affected app in the Play Store and see if anyone else is reporting problems, or you could email the developer. Otherwise, let me know what the app is and what the problem is and I'll see what I can come up with (ie does it ever work? When did the problem start etc).

Hi @Djide, just try a couple of times with slight differences in how and when you press the buttons. Sometimes it takes a little getting used to. For me, I press and hold Volume Up and Home, then hold power until the phone either vibrates or the Android logo appears.

— modified on Dec 2, 2013, 3:59:39 PM

Djide Togoumas

Dec 3, 2013, 2:45:31 AM via Website

hello i do but still getting same problem.the android logo appears but still loading.i can get restore menu .

Kris Carlon

Dec 3, 2013, 6:05:25 PM via Website

Hmm, I don't know what else to suggest. When I did it it took three tries (it usually takes a couple!) but I got there in the end. I would suggest just being tenacious with it, but I don't want you to be trying for days and getting nowhere. Perhaps you could take it into a service center and ask them to do it for you? Or ask a tech-minded friend with magic fingers?

KayMat

Dec 10, 2013, 7:37:29 AM via Website

thank you! hope that helps me!

Nikhil Golatkar
  • Forum posts: 21

Dec 10, 2013, 8:06:22 AM via App

does it deletes root files also which unable to be deleted manually???

Kris Carlon

Dec 10, 2013, 11:47:37 PM via Website

I don't quite understand @Nikhil. Do you mean: will doing a hard reset wipe root files? If so, the answer is no (unless they are not original system files). All it does is reset your phone to a factory standard and wipe everything, but anything Samsung put on your phone will still be there (bloatware apps etc). The only way to get rid of that stuff is to get root access to your phone and delete them that way. If you're asking if a hard reset will remove root access, the answer to that is no. You'll still have root after a hard reset.

gelo :)

Dec 13, 2013, 1:03:52 AM via Website

hi! my little brother put a password on his note2 then suddenly mistyped it several times causing it to lock..

he then said he turned it off and when he tried to turn it back on again it won't turn on again but it vibrates when i press the two keys adjacent to the home key..
i would try to hard reset it using the recovery mode but i can't figure out if it is turned on or off..

well, it has not suffered any physical damage(like dropping).. if i can only know the source of the problem, it would be a big help.. and thanks!!

— modified on Dec 13, 2013, 1:08:42 AM

Kris Carlon

Dec 13, 2013, 12:24:00 PM via Website

Hi @gelo, that's a weird one. To get into Recovery Mode you need to hold down Volume Down, Home and Power. If you're not sure if the phone is off, just pull the battery for 30 seconds and replace. Then do the button combo and enter recovery mode. Then you can follow the hard reset steps, this should wipe the password too. Good luck!

— modified on Dec 18, 2013, 9:08:05 PM

Casey Chiang

Dec 17, 2013, 2:55:43 PM via Website

Hi Kris,

I bought a Note 2 recently, and it is running 4.1.2.

My data files were backed-up from my S2 using GO Backup, into the SD card and restored into this new Note 2. All went well, but 2 days ago, I started having this "low memory" notification on my display.

I can't seem to be able to use App to SD Manager to move the apps over to the SD card too. Please advice on what seemed to be the issue, and what are the options. I would prefer a non-rooting solution, where possible.

Thanks, and really appreciate your help on this.

Best regards
Casey

Kris Carlon

Dec 18, 2013, 9:11:22 PM via Website

Hey @Casey, so is your memory on the Note 2 actually being taken up? Assuming the low memory notification is legitimate, you might benefit from doing a data wipe and factory/hard reset on your Note 2 and then reinstalling your apps and data again. I'm not sure if you did a reset frist time around, but even when i just do a wipe and reinstall I find more space. There's plenty of other data transfer apps available, so I'd try another one or two and if that doesn't work...I'm not sure. I don't know why the Note 2 wouldn't let you move to the SD card. Of course, rotting lets you delete bloatware but won't get you any additional space anyway because of the partition.

— modified on Dec 18, 2013, 9:11:35 PM

Raj Frnd

Dec 20, 2013, 5:56:14 AM via Website

Hello Kris,

I have samsung galaxy note 2 GT-N7100. Recently I have tried installing Philz touch recovery after watching videos on youtube. After following the steps as shown in the video when I tried to factory reset my device, I noticed that an error symbol was appearing on my droid (see attached files) unlike that is shown in the video. I have completed the other steps but couldn`t see Philz recovery scree mode. I have decided not to installing/flashing until I have basic knowledge, so can you please educate me in this topic. Also if possible suggest me a solution to rectify my error. I have another question to ask, Is it good practice to flash/install custom ROM`s? Which is the best ROM that you suggest? Today, while i was composing this mail i found that my samsung Knox is not working and it says "Your device is not Authorized to enter Samsung KNOX mode". Please help me in resolving this. Thanks a ton!! Merry Christmas!! Happy & colorful new year in advance.!!

Faizzmeer Syafiq

Dec 21, 2013, 1:26:51 AM via Website

hi,is there any chance i can get all my data after im perform a reset to my device. ?

Ivan Chompiilompii

Dec 29, 2013, 5:56:07 AM via Website

Hey yeah i have galaxy note 2 nd i was just on instragam when it froze and then i turn it off by holding the off key then try to turn it back on but it would just flash the Galaxy Note 2 screen that its shown at the beginning when u turn it on

Kok Eng Looi

Dec 31, 2013, 8:07:16 AM via Website

my phone lays on the table, I see the screen of my phone fashing on and off every 9-10 seconds for about 4 seconds. My battery life gets a lot shorter and it is very annoying.
How to solve this?

Sharlene

Jan 3, 2014, 6:23:19 PM via Website

My Note 2 will not go beyond the first screen after turning my phone on (the screen that says Galaxy Note II), I followed all of the hard reset prompts that you have provided and it is still the same. Do you have any idea what may be the problem?

Philip Sylvian

Jan 4, 2014, 5:40:02 PM via Website

To Kuro Neko.

Hi Kuro.
I was reading your message when you wrote of how your Note 2 was suddenly show a black screen when you used the phone. Did you resolve the issue. . Or is it the same? .Did you perform a factory or hard reset? . I too have a note 2 with similar problem. Would be interested how you managed.

snoboardfreak04

Jan 4, 2014, 10:07:37 PM via Website

Kris,
I keep getting a notification that my storage space is running out. If I let it go to the internal storage where it says what's using the space, it says I have about 11gigs being used by photos and videos. I pulled my SD card to see what's actually stored on my internal memory for pics and videos and I only have 6 photos that are all less than 1mb each.
Do you have any idea why the phone would be saying it has so much stored there when there's almost nothing? Does another application backup photos that you can't can't see when viewing the gallery?
Any help is appreciated.