"G"...not 4G, not 2G....

• Replies:2
Susan G.
  • Forum posts: 10

Jul 18, 2013, 4:39:15 AM via Website

I suddenly went from a (sad little) 2G next to the signal bars, to just "G". Does anyone know what this means?

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jul 19, 2013, 2:41:25 PM via Website

Hi Susan, funny that your last name starts with a 'G'! The 'G' on your phone stands for GPRS, which just means you have an internet connection. An 'E' stands for the EDGE network, and so on. Nothing to worry about unless you don't want your internet connection on. In that case you can turn it off through your Settings menu. The cell network you get (2G, 3G, 4G) all depends on the signal strength of where you are and relates to phone calls. Parts of North America has 4G, many other countries are still on 3G and some Asian countries are still on 2G. These letters and numbers are primarily there for informational purposes. Hope this helps.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Susan G.
  • Forum posts: 10

Jul 19, 2013, 7:51:32 PM via Website

Thanks Kris,
The "G " had me perplexed. When my phone was showing a "2G" my signal was so weak that I couldn't connect to the internet at all (couldn't use most of my apps) and half the time couldn't even make/receive phone calls. I was happy with an improved signal (when the 2G suddenly changed to the G), but had never seen the unspecified "G" before.
The change happened soon after I reported signal problems to my carrier, and I just wondered if there was some alteration of signal they could have done.