Samsung Galaxy S3 — S. Korean Galaxy S3

• Replies:11
Michael
  • Forum posts: 4

Aug 10, 2012, 8:13:46 AM via Website

Hi all.
I am a complete noob regarding all this so please forgive my ignorance of all things android....
I have been offered a Samsung Galaxy S3 at a very attractive price by a friend who bought it but can't get on with it.
The only thing is, it is a Korean version. It's no problem to change the language but is it possible to wipe the fw and install european fw?
I believe that as a Korean telecoms icon appears on start up that it's not possible for it to update automatically.
I have been told that it's not possible to alter these Korean phones but I'm not sure if that's correct or not.
Any help and advice would be gratefully received before I make the purchase.
Thanks in advance.

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Aug 14, 2012, 3:57:51 PM via Website

Is the device locked to a carrier?

Normally unlocking and installing firmware from another country is no problem on Samsung devices.

Michael

Aug 15, 2012, 5:46:55 AM via Website

I don't think it's locked to a carrier as I have typed *#1234# and everything comes up as 'off' so that neabs unlocked I take it?
The model number though is SHW-M440S so I'm concerned about trying to install a firmware for I9300 model in case it all goes wrong and I'm left with a useless phone.
I connected to Kies and it stated that there was an updated FW available but it is the Korean version again.
I don't understand anything about ROM's and Kernels so I'm unsure whether to give it a go or not. I updtaed the FW on my old Samsung Tocco with no problems but this is a completely different (and more expensive) animal!
I was hoping someone on here had already had the same issues and could advise before I do something I will regret.

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Aug 15, 2012, 3:53:41 PM via Website

Michael
I don't think it's locked to a carrier as I have typed *#1234# and everything comes up as 'off' so that neabs unlocked I take it?
The model number though is SHW-M440S so I'm concerned about trying to install a firmware for I9300 model in case it all goes wrong and I'm left with a useless phone.
I connected to Kies and it stated that there was an updated FW available but it is the Korean version again.
I don't understand anything about ROM's and Kernels so I'm unsure whether to give it a go or not. I updtaed the FW on my old Samsung Tocco with no problems but this is a completely different (and more expensive) animal!
I was hoping someone on here had already had the same issues and could advise before I do something I will regret.

I must admit that rooting this phone is....VERY VERY EASY.

I made a step by step tutorial if you want to give it a shot. You can find it here:

https://www.nextpit.com/root-samsung-galaxy-s3

Michael

Aug 16, 2012, 3:30:44 AM via Website

Thank you.
Do you think that I will need to root it before installing the new firmware?
What would happen if I just went ahead and installed the I9300 firmware on the phone as it is right now?

Crystal Aria
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 30, 2012, 9:25:21 AM via Website

Hi There,

Just curious, did you manage to successfully root your Korean Samsung Galaxy S3 phone? I'm asking because I soon will have to do the same. Though mine will be the LTE version. Please let me know if it worked out OK and if there were any problems. :)

Michael

Oct 30, 2012, 9:46:12 AM via Website

Hi, I never actually tried it.
I just use the phone in its standard form and it's fine.
The only issues I sometimes have are that I can't remove the Korean Apps and the sms is limited to 40 characters.
If you have a go at yours though I'd be interested to hear how you get on, thanks.

Molan James
  • Forum posts: 2

Jan 6, 2013, 5:50:23 PM via Website

If you are an owner of Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 and have already updated your device to the latest firmware version, you may want to root it to gain full control over the phone. Below is an easy-to-follow step by step tutorial to help you perform a root on your International Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE running Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
***Admin edit: links disguised as source code are forbidden***

— modified on Sep 24, 2013, 4:19:30 PM by moderator

Scaproc
  • Forum posts: 41

Jan 6, 2013, 6:31:57 PM via Website

I have read article about new Galaxy S2 with bigger screen and more powerful hardware. I want to buy it.

Muslih Ismail

Jan 7, 2013, 10:57:53 AM via Website

I have Samsung Galaxy 3 Korean version. In my phone i have 2100 amh battery. But battery charge gets low very first though i do not use it much. I have to recharge the battery something like every 24hrs. Please can you help me finding a solution to this.

— modified on Jan 7, 2013, 10:58:22 AM

Manny Bee
  • Forum posts: 14

Jan 29, 2013, 4:50:10 PM via Website

Any one got any ideas on when an S4 will be released??

Ras Elvis Musoke

Dec 29, 2014, 12:30:22 AM via Website

Did your Korean s3 get fine because was also given one already rooted bt can't access mobile data from my country bad shows some icon on its status bar