How to preserve WhatsApp chats if I'm changing the phone number on my current phone?

• Replies:2
Mickey22
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 8, 2023, 8:31:41 PM via Website

How do I save and preserve my chat logs on WhatsApp if I'm simply changing my phone number on the phone I'm currently using?

If I change my phone number with my carrier first and then go to the settings on WhatsApp to change my old number to my new number on the same device will all the chat logs remain intact?

Or will it not work if the old number is disconnected to change the phone's number to the new one? Do both numbers need to be operational simultaneously in order for me to preserve my chat logs?

I'm not very technically inclined and I don't want to do anything to potentially lose the chat logs. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

ShaunRolfson
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 16, 2024, 5:26:59 AM via Website

According to WhatsApp's official website, changing your phone number in WhatsApp will transfer your account information, including your profile photo, name, about, individual chats, group chats, and settings from your old phone number to your new phone number. However, you need to make sure that your old phone number is still registered and verified by WhatsApp before you change it. You also need to be able to receive SMS or phone calls on your new number.

Helpful?
Deactivated AccountJames Watson
Billu Bansal
  • Forum posts: 18

Jan 29, 2024, 4:39:27 PM via Website

Follow these steps:

1. Change your phone number with your carrier.
  2. Open WhatsApp, go to Settings > Account > Change Number.
  3. Enter your old and new phone numbers. Your chat logs will be
    transferred, and both numbers don't need to be operational
    simultaneously.
Helpful?