Motorola Moto G — Notification Settings for the phone app are all greyed out

• Replies:6
  • Answered
tim_in_ak
  • Forum posts: 3

Sep 7, 2023, 12:50:04 AM via Website

I am unable to receive any notifications including that of an incoming call. When I go to settings, then Notifications, then App Notifications I can see that the main toggle (trigger?) for Phone is disabled, but in the on position. Tapping on now shows me a single item labeled "All Phone Notifications" which is similarly disabled. At an earlier time I would have seen several items, but disabled as well. Thus I am not getting a audible announcement of an incoming call nor am I being notified of missed calls. Please advise.
Thanks
Tim
Moto G Power 2022

Best answer
Journey Through Time
  • Forum posts: 28

Sep 9, 2023, 9:49:31 AM via Website

It seems like you're facing issues with receiving notifications, particularly for incoming calls, on your device. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot and resolve this problem:

Restart Your Phone: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve software glitches that may be causing notification issues.

Check Do Not Disturb Mode: Ensure that you don't have "Do Not Disturb" mode enabled, as it can silence notifications, including incoming calls. You can disable this by going to Settings > Sound & vibration > Do Not Disturb.

Check Volume Settings: Make sure that your phone's volume is turned up and not set to silent or vibrate mode. You can adjust the volume by using the physical volume buttons on your device.

App Permissions: Confirm that the Phone app has the necessary permissions to access notifications. Go to Settings > Apps > Phone > App Permissions and ensure that Notifications are enabled.

Reset App Preferences: Sometimes, resetting app preferences can help resolve notification issues. Go to Settings > Apps > Reset App Preferences. This will reset notification settings for all apps, so you may need to reconfigure other apps' notification preferences afterward.

Update Software: Ensure that your phone's operating system is up to date. Outdated software can sometimes lead to compatibility issues. Go to Settings > Software Update and check for updates.

Check Notification Settings for Phone App: You've mentioned that the main toggle for Phone notifications is enabled but not working. Try disabling it, then enabling it again. Sometimes, this can refresh the notification settings.

Clear Cache and Data: Go to Settings > Apps > Phone > Storage > Clear Cache and Clear Data. This can help clear any temporary data that might be causing issues.

Check for Third-Party Apps: If you have any third-party apps that are designed to manage notifications, ensure that they are not interfering with your phone's notification settings. Disable or uninstall any such apps if necessary.

Factory Reset (Last Resort): If all else fails, you can perform a factory reset on your device. This should only be done as a last resort, as it will erase all data on your phone. Make sure to back up your important data before proceeding.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, it may be a more complex problem, and you might need to contact your device's manufacturer or your mobile service provider for further assistance.

Helpful?
tim_in_ak
James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,584

Sep 9, 2023, 7:07:58 AM via Website

Are you sure that the system software of your Moto G is stock without rooting? Do you have any security softwares installed on your device?

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.

Helpful?
Best answer
Journey Through Time
  • Forum posts: 28

Sep 9, 2023, 9:49:31 AM via Website

It seems like you're facing issues with receiving notifications, particularly for incoming calls, on your device. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot and resolve this problem:

Restart Your Phone: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve software glitches that may be causing notification issues.

Check Do Not Disturb Mode: Ensure that you don't have "Do Not Disturb" mode enabled, as it can silence notifications, including incoming calls. You can disable this by going to Settings > Sound & vibration > Do Not Disturb.

Check Volume Settings: Make sure that your phone's volume is turned up and not set to silent or vibrate mode. You can adjust the volume by using the physical volume buttons on your device.

App Permissions: Confirm that the Phone app has the necessary permissions to access notifications. Go to Settings > Apps > Phone > App Permissions and ensure that Notifications are enabled.

Reset App Preferences: Sometimes, resetting app preferences can help resolve notification issues. Go to Settings > Apps > Reset App Preferences. This will reset notification settings for all apps, so you may need to reconfigure other apps' notification preferences afterward.

Update Software: Ensure that your phone's operating system is up to date. Outdated software can sometimes lead to compatibility issues. Go to Settings > Software Update and check for updates.

Check Notification Settings for Phone App: You've mentioned that the main toggle for Phone notifications is enabled but not working. Try disabling it, then enabling it again. Sometimes, this can refresh the notification settings.

Clear Cache and Data: Go to Settings > Apps > Phone > Storage > Clear Cache and Clear Data. This can help clear any temporary data that might be causing issues.

Check for Third-Party Apps: If you have any third-party apps that are designed to manage notifications, ensure that they are not interfering with your phone's notification settings. Disable or uninstall any such apps if necessary.

Factory Reset (Last Resort): If all else fails, you can perform a factory reset on your device. This should only be done as a last resort, as it will erase all data on your phone. Make sure to back up your important data before proceeding.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, it may be a more complex problem, and you might need to contact your device's manufacturer or your mobile service provider for further assistance.

Helpful?
tim_in_ak
tim_in_ak

Sep 9, 2023, 7:52:05 PM via Website

I appreciate the replies but they contain no suggestions that I had not already pursued. To be clearer, the phone had just performed a major update. Here is what appeared to solve the problem: I had the phone set to vibrate, then ring. I changed that setting to never vibrate, then changed it back to vibrate then ring, and all started working. Total serendipity. This would not be first time that a software update has had unexplained and unexpected side effects. I have stored a description of this even in a knowledge base for reference, as it could occur again.
Many thanks for the replies. I am grateful for the help.

Helpful?
Cecil Kellaway
  • Forum posts: 2

Sep 10, 2023, 8:17:24 AM via Website

To address this problem, please try the following steps: first, ensure that your phone is not in "Do Not Disturb" mode, then check the notification settings for the Phone app in your device's settings menu, ensuring that "Show notifications" is enabled. Additionally, make sure your ring volume is turned up and customize your ringtone and notification sound as desired. If the problem persists, consider updating the Phone app and, as a last resort, performing a factory reset after backing up your data.

Helpful?
tim_in_ak
Jim121FC
  • Forum posts: 17

Sep 28, 2023, 11:32:32 AM via Website

I searched on every forum on internet and eventually end up fixing this by getting the phone out of the silent mode.

Helpful?
tim_in_ak
tim_in_ak

Sep 28, 2023, 8:42:40 PM via Website

Sounds like Jim and I had similar issues and similarly mysterious resolutions. After 30 some years as a programmer I have seen many glitches occurring after a major operating system upgrade and I have noted earlier that an upgrade had occurred on my phone shortly before the issue started. In the words of Rosannadanna (played by Gilda Radner): "There's always somethin'":P. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Helpful?