Please help - recover and restore backup

• Replies:6
Adam Elouz
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 13, 2023, 9:53:35 AM via Website

Hello
Please i need help .
I buy new phone and i try to transfer all the backup from the old to the new.

I make backup for all in the old phone - but it's was 4.7G.B and it's stuck all the time on 99% or start from 1% . For some reason ???? I don't know what happened in google drive the backup was only 2 MB and all the folders chat and video deleted from my phone . When i try to restore in the new phone and after on the old one - i get backup without nothing. Even the chat list is not o.k .

One important thing is i save file of 184MB name

msgstore-2023-07-10.1.db.crypt14 and all 3 folders: databases , backup and media (without 4.7GB i have before)

i try to restore but nothing happen

i try to delete WhatsApp and reinstall, try to change the name of the file nothing work for me . Please how can i tell WhatsApp to reload from this file.

At least I will have the preferred chat lists. Also no media files

James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,584

Jul 14, 2023, 8:47:45 AM via Website

If the full backup is still in your old phone and that phone is on hand, try to take advantage of some 3rd-party professional utility software for WhatsApp Transfer, such as Dr.Fone.

— modified on Jul 14, 2023, 8:48:52 AM

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.

Helpful?
Steven
  • Forum posts: 118

Jul 14, 2023, 12:09:46 PM via Website

I understand your frustration. To reload WhatsApp from the file you have, make sure the file is named "msgstore.db.crypt14" without any additional extensions. Place the file in the appropriate directory on your phone, then uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp. During the setup process, it should detect the backup file and prompt you to restore from it.

Helpful?
James Watson
wextio
  • Forum posts: 124

Jul 17, 2023, 6:39:38 AM via Website

Hint: It would be best if you made sure that the file you have is a valid WhatsApp backup file. You can do this by checking the file extension. The file extension for a WhatsApp backup file is .crypt14. If the file extension is not .crypt14, it is not a valid WhatsApp backup file.

Helpful?
saleha rayyan
  • Forum posts: 4

Jul 24, 2023, 5:09:31 PM via Website

I understand the frustration you're facing with the backup and restore process for WhatsApp on your new phone. Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

Check Backup Settings: Ensure that the backup settings on your old phone are correctly configured to include all chats and media. To do this, open WhatsApp on your old phone, go to "Settings" > "Chats" > "Chat backup," and make sure all the necessary options are selected.

Verify Google Drive Backup: Check if your old phone's WhatsApp backup was indeed saved to Google Drive. Open Google Drive on your old phone and navigate to the "Backups" section to see if the WhatsApp backup is listed there. If not, it might not have been uploaded correctly.

Ensure Sufficient Storage: Make sure you have enough space on your Google Drive to accommodate the backup file. If your Google Drive storage is full, the backup might not complete successfully.

Download Correct Backup File: If you have the file "msgstore-2023-07-10.1.db.crypt14," ensure that it's the most recent and complete backup file. If you have multiple backup files, choose the latest one to restore.

Rename the Backup File: Before restoring, ensure that the backup file's name is correctly set to "msgstore.db.crypt14" (without the date). Sometimes, renaming the file to the correct format can help with the restore process.

Restore on New Phone: Transfer the "msgstore.db.crypt14" file to your new phone's internal storage or SD card in the "WhatsApp/Databases" folder. Then, install WhatsApp on your new phone and verify your phone number. When prompted to restore from backup, select the file you transferred.

Try a Local Restore: If the Google Drive restore doesn't work, you can try restoring from a local backup on your old phone. Copy the entire "WhatsApp" folder from your old phone's internal storage to your new phone's internal storage, and then try restoring again.

Please note that restoring from a local backup will only work if you haven't uninstalled WhatsApp from your old phone and the backup file is intact.

If you continue to encounter issues, you can reach out to WhatsApp support for further assistance.

Helpful?
Adam Elouz
Robert Collins
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 24, 2023, 8:49:05 PM via Website

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues transferring your WhatsApp backup to your new phone. WhatsApp backups can sometimes be complicated, and it's essential to follow the correct steps to ensure a successful restoration. Let's try to troubleshoot the problem step by step:

1. Check Google Drive Backup:
    Ensure that the backup on Google Drive is complete and up-to-date. Go to the Google Drive app or website, navigate to the "Backups" section, and check if the WhatsApp backup is there and has the correct size (4.7GB). If it's not complete or has an incorrect size, you may need to create a new backup on your old phone and let it finish entirely before proceeding.

2. Check WhatsApp Settings:
    On your old phone, open WhatsApp, go to "Settings" > "Chats" > "Chat backup," and make sure the backup settings are correct. Ensure that it is set to back up all your chats and media to Google Drive.

3. Check Google Account:
    Make sure you are using the same Google account on both your old and new phones. The WhatsApp backup and restoration process requires the same Google account for a seamless transfer.

4. WhatsApp Restore on New Phone:
    On your new phone, install WhatsApp and verify your phone number. During the setup process, WhatsApp should detect the backup on Google Drive and prompt you to restore it. Follow the on-screen instructions to restore your chat history and media.

5. Using Local Backup:
    Since you have a file named "msgstore-2023-07-10.1.db.crypt14," it seems like you have a local backup on your old phone. To use this local backup for restoration, first, ensure you've made a copy of this file to a safe location (e.g., your computer).

6. Restore Local Backup:
    On your new phone, uninstall WhatsApp, locate the "WhatsApp" folder on your phone's internal storage, and rename it to "WhatsApp_backup" or any other name. This will prevent WhatsApp from detecting the incomplete backup on Google Drive.

7. Copy Backup File:
    After renaming the WhatsApp folder, copy the "msgstore-2023-07-10.1.db.crypt14" file and the "databases," "backup," and "media" folders from your old phone to the "WhatsApp" folder on your new phone's internal storage.

8. Reinstall WhatsApp and Restore:
    Reinstall WhatsApp on your new phone, and during the setup, it should detect the local backup. Follow the on-screen instructions to restore your chat history and media from the file you copied earlier.

Please note that restoring from a local backup may not include the most recent messages if the backup is not up-to-date. If the above steps don't work, you can try using a third-party WhatsApp backup recovery tool or contact WhatsApp support for further assistance.

Before proceeding, make sure to back up all essential data on both phones to avoid any data loss during the process. WhatsApp also periodically updates its app and backup process, so ensuring you have the latest version of WhatsApp is recommended.

If you are unsure about any step or encounter any issues during the restoration process, it's best to seek help from WhatsApp support or refer to their official documentation for the most accurate and up-to-date guidance.

Helpful?
Adam Elouz
Jim121FC
  • Forum posts: 17

Oct 10, 2023, 9:32:54 AM via Website

I searched on every forum on internet and eventually end up fixing this by tweaking the battery restrictions on WhatsApp.

Helpful?