member of a WhatsApp group

• Replies:1
Alicja Brook
  • Forum posts: 4

Jun 17, 2023, 10:52:19 AM via Website

I'm a member of a WhatsApp group (non-admin) where I am near 100% sure all members names where displayed with their posts and also with the numbers on the Group Info page.

This is no longer happening and am curious to know why. The only poster's name that shows in the top left corner of their post is the Admin and 1 person I have in my phone contacts.

Also, 3 other member's have a name in grey appear in the top right hand corner of the message (for example: "~ Mark").

I recently had a Galaxy S6 where believe all names where visible. I've changed over to my Galaxy A70 and though all chats etc have transferred I do notice the lack of names.

seotools
  • Forum posts: 3

Jun 18, 2023, 3:04:49 PM via Website

The change you are observing in the display of names in your WhatsApp group might be due to a few possible reasons:

Privacy Settings:

WhatsApp offers privacy settings that allow users to control the visibility of their information, including their profile picture, status, and name. It is possible that some members in your group have adjusted their privacy settings to limit the visibility of their names.
Contact Sync:

WhatsApp displays the names of contacts saved in your phone's address book. If a person's name is not appearing in the group, it might be because their contact information is not saved in your phone's contacts or they have changed their phone number.
Changes in WhatsApp Versions:

WhatsApp frequently updates its features and functionality through app updates. It is possible that the change in the display of names is a result of an update in the WhatsApp version you are currently using on your Galaxy A70. Different versions of WhatsApp may have variations in the way names are displayed in group chats.
To further investigate the issue and understand why the names are no longer visible for most group members, you can try the following steps:

Check Privacy Settings: Review your own privacy settings in WhatsApp to ensure that your name is set to be visible to others. You can go to WhatsApp Settings > Account > Privacy and adjust the settings accordingly.

Contact Information: Double-check if the contacts of the members whose names are not appearing are saved correctly in your phone's address book. Confirm if their names and phone numbers are up-to-date.

Reinstall WhatsApp: If the issue persists, you can try reinstalling WhatsApp on your Galaxy A70. Make sure to back up your chats before reinstalling the app. Sometimes, reinstalling can resolve any potential glitches or bugs that may be causing the issue.

If the problem still persists after performing these steps, it might be helpful to reach out to WhatsApp support directly or consult with other members of the group to see if they are experiencing the same issue. They may have insights or information regarding the change in the display of names.