swapping whatsapp to a different phone. Something went wrong

• Replies:1
yorkshirelad60
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 10, 2022, 2:48:32 PM via Website

I wanted to swap my whatsapp on phone A to Phone B, and when I went to do this it gave me the option of changing the phone no for whatsapp. (Both phones have different numbers but I don't have the sim for phone A anymore. I put in the number for Phone B as the number to swap to and it sent a text alert with a verification no but never actually changed the whatsapp data on Phone B with the whats app data from phone A.

I tried copying across the local data from Phone A but it had been overwritten with the data from Phone B, Looking at Google Drive from Phone B, I can see the backup data is there for both Phone A and B, but obviously cant restore Phone A data because its a different no.

I then tried using an app called ultdata, as it says you can extract googledrive data, but when I tried to log in it sent a security alert to Phone B asking me to select one of 3 numbers, but as it is a windows app (presumably emulating an android app) I had no way of knowing which of the three numbers I needed to press (I did guess - wrongly)

Anyone any suggestions how I can extract the phone A data from Google Drive so I can overwrite Phone B with it please.

AtifNawaz
  • Forum posts: 10

Aug 13, 2023, 10:48:57 AM via Website

It sounds like you're trying to transfer your WhatsApp data from Phone A to Phone B, but you encountered some challenges with the verification process and restoring the data. Here are some suggestions to help you extract the WhatsApp data from Google Drive and transfer it successfully:

Verify Phone Numbers: To transfer WhatsApp data from one phone to another, the phone numbers should ideally match or you should have access to the old phone number to receive verification codes. Since you no longer have access to the SIM card from Phone A, this might complicate the transfer process.

Temporary SIM Card: If possible, consider getting a temporary SIM card with the original phone number used on Phone A. Use this temporary SIM card to receive the verification code and complete the transfer process to Phone B. Once the transfer is complete, you can switch back to your regular SIM card on Phone B.

Contact WhatsApp Support: If you're unable to use the original phone number for verification, you might need to reach out to WhatsApp's support team. Explain your situation and see if they can offer any assistance or alternatives for transferring the data.

Third-Party Tools: There are third-party tools and software available that claim to help with transferring WhatsApp data between devices. However, be cautious when using such tools, as they might compromise your data security or integrity. Make sure to use reputable and well-reviewed tools if you decide to go this route.

Physical Data Transfer: If both phones support microSD cards, you could consider transferring the WhatsApp backup files from Phone A to Phone B using an external microSD card. This method requires manual handling of files and might not work for all devices.

Local Backup: If you have a local backup of your WhatsApp data from Phone A saved on a computer, you could try transferring this backup to Phone B and restoring it. However, this method might not include the most recent messages.

It's important to note that WhatsApp's backup and restore mechanisms are designed with security in mind, which can sometimes make transferring data between devices with different phone numbers a bit challenging. If possible, try to follow the recommended procedures provided by WhatsApp to ensure a smooth and secure transfer. If you're facing difficulties, reaching out to their support for guidance might be the best course of action.

Helpful?