Factory reset vs. recovery mode (hard reset)

• Replies:8
w2tq
  • Forum posts: 5

Jul 19, 2020, 5:46:53 PM via Website

My Google Nexus 7 tablet is running Android version 5.1.1 - the latest the hardware will accept. At times, the device is sluggish and Chrome, Firefox, and the Settings panel occasionally crash, even after a full charge. I have removed every app not in use and driven down the cache. Currently, the internal storage is showing 16.40 GB free out of a total of 27.56 GB. The tablet otherwise functions well.

I have seen advice on various sites (including androidpit) about resetting by performing a factory reset or using the recovery mode. Everything of importance is stored elsewhere, so a complete erasure is of no concern. What is unclear is whether I would see a performance from either of these procedures.

Any advice, including potential downsides, would be appreciated.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Jul 19, 2020, 7:27:47 PM via Website

Definitely, Hard reset will fix some bugs(after an update) and improve the overall performance.
Backup the data and Hard reset.

Ready To Help You.

Helpful?
w2tq

Jul 19, 2020, 7:33:41 PM via Website

Thank you. Do recommend the hard reset (recovery mode) over the factory reset?

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Jul 19, 2020, 7:47:26 PM via Website

Yes, the one from recovery mode.
Please Note: All your data will be erased, so Keep a backup.

Ready To Help You.

Helpful?
w2tq

Jul 19, 2020, 7:53:14 PM via Website

Thank you. As I mentioned in my initial post, everything of importance is stored elsewhere.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account
w2tq

Jul 19, 2020, 8:35:09 PM via Website

I have a follow-up question. You advised a hard reset (recovery mode) over the factory reset. In addition to the repair of "bugs (after an update) and improve[d] ... overall performance" you mentioned, what is the difference between the two procedures? Why is the hard reset preferable?

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Jul 19, 2020, 10:40:35 PM via Website

It is recommended to give a factory Reset once an Os update is installed. This will fix some bugs and glitches. For eg; If your phone upgraded to Android 10 from Android 9. Then you must give a factory reset to fix the glitches and clear old cache.

Ready To Help You.

Helpful?
w2tq

Jul 19, 2020, 10:49:59 PM via Website

Thank you.

Helpful?
GSMjhony
  • Forum posts: 17

Aug 23, 2020, 11:20:14 PM via Website

Thank you. I recommend hard reset process.

Helpful?