Battery Draining Very Quickly Under Normal Load

• Replies:3
icu222much
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 30, 2018, 7:23:58 AM via Website

I just purchased a brand new non-rooted LG G5 (Oreo) and noticing that the battery extremely fast. I have installed a few apps on my phone (Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Line, Skype, WeChat, Whatsapp, and Nova Prime) and noticed that my battery is at 20% by the end of the day. Similarly, when I am performing the same usage on my 2 year old Huawei Honor 5X, my battery would be at about 60% by the end of the day.

My typical usage of my phone would be: social media messages (Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, WeChat), read articles on Chrome, check road conditions on Google Maps.

I first thought I had a defected phone/battery so I disabled my data/wifi for 12 hours and noticed that the battery only dropped by about 3%. I figured that this is fairly conclusive that the battery problem is coming from one of my apps trying to access the Internet.

I installed Wakelock Detector Lite. After ten hours the app said that WeChat has a wakelock trigger of 80 times. The next app would be com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox at 35 times (I'm not sure what this is as I do not use the Google Quick Search Box widget). I have just uninstalled WeChat to see if it makes a difference.

I also looked at my battery usage (under Settings) which said that Chrome consumed the most battery (at 10%), while the next apps were Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, WeChat at 3%, 2%, 1%. Note that I have the brightness of my screen set to 50%.

I have noticed that the battery seems to be draining quite rapidly while and shortly after I use the phone.

My questions is what should the next steps be to isolate why my battery is draining so rapidly?

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Dec 30, 2018, 3:12:30 PM via Website

Google chrome is a battery HOG!
You should disable it!
The only difference between chrome and you regular Google is all the extra features chrome has. And those features are running and updating constantly.
In addition, all those social media apps use a lot of battery life. When you are done using them you must shut them down.
As a matter of fact, when you are done using your phone you should shut down all active apps. Or they will continue to run in the background and use your charge.

Helpful?
icu222much
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 30, 2018, 4:22:48 PM via Website

The only difference between chrome and you regular Google is

What do you mean by "regular Google"? Isn't Chrome the web browser application, and Google is the tech company powering Android?

when you are done using your phone you should shut down all active apps

After I am done with each application I do exit the app by pressing the "Clear All" button in the screen that shows each application that is running (similar to ALT+TAB on a Windows computer). Is this the same as shutting down an active app?

Helpful?
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Dec 30, 2018, 9:06:24 PM via Website

Google chrome is a deluxe version of the Google browser. And the only reason they call it deluxe is those added extra features on your browser page!
And those features are constantly running and updating and using up your battery.
You can go into your settings under all apps and disable chrome and still use the regular Google browser. That will save a lot of battery charge!

That Clear All button you mention will not turn the app off!
When I am done using my phone I go back to the home screen, in the lower left hand corner below the display there is a icon that looks like 2 boxes that over lap each other. I tap on that icon it shows me what apps are still active and gives you the option to shut them off.
If you don't turn them off they will continue to run and use up your battery charge!
You should shut down all active apps Every time you are done using them!

In addition there are many other ways to extend your battery charge,

Helpful?