Security of keeping WiFi turned on?

• Replies:12
Anon Y Mous
  • Forum posts: 7

Nov 28, 2018, 10:23:37 PM via Website

This might sound like a dumb question - but I'm dumber if I don't ask.

One of my apps requires WiFi to be left on at all times, but I don't hardly ever use WiFi. I'm in a rural area with decent provider signal, and I have no need of WiFi. The only time I use it is if I'm going to 5bucks and want to update my apps on the Play Store or some heavy file lifting on a Dropbox update. I use the hotspot for data for my laptop at home - and turning on hotspot turns off WiFi.

I'm concerned about the possible security issues of leaving WiFi on. If I can see other networks, they can see me - yes? And we all know how easy most of this security stuff is broken through. but this one app (a driving tracker) wants WiFi on constantly - I presume it helps with location data??

What kinds of risks am I taking by leaving my WiFi always on, even though I don't use it?

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Nov 29, 2018, 12:11:40 AM via Website

If you are referring to connecting to a WiFi signal and leaving it open.
Well I'll bet that app you referred to is a Google app!
Google is only updating our phones through the WiFi signal now.
And they want you to stay connected to a WiFi signal because they can update your device with anything they want! Anytime they want! With any thing they want!
Weather you want that update or not!
And in addition leaving your device connected to a WiFi signal can give scammers and hackers another opportunity to get into your files.
My suggestion is to stick with your mobile signal unless you really need to connect to a WiFi signal.
It's more secure that way!

Helpful?
Sorin
Anon Y Mous

Nov 29, 2018, 12:21:51 AM via Website

Thanks for chiming in - but, no, it's not the Google Apps. It's specific to a company that I do business with, and they want to track my driving.

They're not asking me to log into or connect to a specific wifi network - just turn on wifi on my phone and leave it on all the time. My phone will automatically connect to 5bucks if I'm there long enough to complete the handshake. Other than that, it's just turned on.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Nov 29, 2018, 12:34:55 AM via Website

In addition to my last message.
Will that app work without connecting to a WiFi signal?
If so then you don't need to stay connected to a WiFi signal. Keeping your phone connected to a WiFi signal could also burn up data. And cost you more money. It could also use up your battery charge faster.
And when you travel to far away from that signal you will lose it, and have to re-connect to a different WiFi signal.
Best advice, only connect to a WiFi signal when you absolutely need it, and when your done disconnect that WiFi and go back to your mobile signal!

Helpful?
Sorin
Deactivated Account

Nov 29, 2018, 12:43:04 AM via Website

If that app is necessary for your job then you really don't have a choice.
And if that phone is supplied by your employer then do what they want.
I still think it is a bad idea.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Nov 29, 2018, 1:10:33 AM via Website

I have a question for you to ask yourself and maybe your employer also.
Why do they need a WiFi signal to track your activity, when that is much easier done by using your GPS signal?

Helpful?
Anon Y Mous

Nov 29, 2018, 4:04:07 PM via Website

So ....
-- the app is not connected to my job
-- the phone is mine and personal
-- the app is from a company I do business with; I get a discount if they can track my driving
-- I am not required to log into any specific WiFi connection; just leave WiFi enabled on my phone at all times
-- I did ask and was told that the app reads WiFi state, and does not track if WiFi is off. No track, no discount.

My question was simply: is my phone security compromised by leaving WiFi always enabled as I drive around? If the answer is 'yes', then I'll have to decide if the discount is worth it. If not, though, then I can stop worrying.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 499

Nov 29, 2018, 11:16:46 PM via Website

I do not think it poses a high level of risk since your phone is a Wi-Fi receiver. I might still invest in a good anti virus just in case. Lots of people will tell you they are just a waste of battery. In this day and age I think smart to be safe rather than sorry.

Helpful?
Sorin
Deactivated Account

Nov 29, 2018, 11:29:41 PM via Website

Like Mark and I said,
Having your phone constantly connected to a WiFi signal could be a security issue.
If you remain connected take Mark's advice and get a good security app just in case!
I am curious, and you should ask this question also,
Why dose this company want to track you? What are they going to gain for that discount?
Call me sceptical, but there got to be a catch!

Helpful?
SorinNguyễn Hoàng
Nguyễn Hoàng
  • Forum posts: 9

Dec 2, 2018, 5:01:57 AM via Website

set pass for wifi, ok ??

Helpful?
Deactivated Account, nongdan99 and 2 more Deactivated Accountnongdan99span9xnongdan9xz
Nguyễn Hoàng
  • Forum posts: 9

Dec 2, 2018, 5:53:09 AM via Website

set pass for wifi, ok ??

— modified on Dec 2, 2018, 5:53:38 AM

Helpful?
Uooker
  • Forum posts: 12

Dec 2, 2018, 8:36:13 AM via Website

A nice thread.

Helpful?
alice434