Strange entry in Samsung S7 Contacts records - contain text 'HubeiWuhan' - what's going on?

• Replies:9
David Medyckyj-Scott
  • Forum posts: 4

Oct 14, 2018, 6:37:46 AM via Website

Hi

I recently got an S7.

I have imported a cvf file and now many of my contacts have a strange entry. Under certain peoples telephone numbers it says 'HubeiWuhan' e.g.

012 345 6789
HubeiWuhan

I originally loaded the contacts from my old S5 using Smartswitch. After I found the problem I deleted all the contacts and all stored data in app manager and then uploaded the CVF file manually. Same problem occured. I checked the file first in a text editor and the file did not contain the text 'HubeuWuhan'.

Does anyone know what's happening? Should I be concerned? I can't seem to edit the information out so any fixes?

Cheers

David

— modified on Oct 14, 2018, 8:20:06 AM

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Oct 14, 2018, 12:22:08 PM via Website

I don't know if this will help,
But Hubei is a provence in China and Wuhan is the capital city!
It sounds like you somehow tapped into someone else's CVF file and transferred it into your new device! Unless some of your contacts are from China!
And the reason you can't edit them is because they are indeed Chinese phone numbers!

— modified on Oct 14, 2018, 12:53:24 PM

Helpful?
LydiaSorin
James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,584

Oct 14, 2018, 2:05:59 PM via Website

First of all, are you sure that these certain phone numbers are numbers of China?

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.

Helpful?
Sorin
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Oct 14, 2018, 4:13:31 PM via Website

James
David's phone and the CVF file is telling him those numbers originate from china!
What other country do you think they are coming from?
Spain?
France?
Or maybe The UK?

Helpful?
Sorin
Sorin
  • Forum posts: 104

Oct 17, 2018, 1:47:25 PM via Website

Did you try to open that .cvf file in Excel, or other spreadsheet program ?
Then you can see if the phone numbers are saved correctly.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account
CCarol
  • Forum posts: 18

Oct 18, 2018, 4:44:45 AM via Website

Where did you get you S7?
It seems like you may have bought an old phone that previously was used by a Chinese.

Helpful?
DIDIBear
  • Forum posts: 14

Oct 19, 2018, 9:28:24 AM via Website

You can transfer your old contacts with free Syncios Manager. Connect your old phone to computer, launch this program, go to contacts, click "Backup", the program will save your contacts to computer. Then connect your s7 device, click "recover" to transfer contacts to new phone.

Helpful?
David Medyckyj-Scott

Oct 21, 2018, 9:02:02 PM via Website

Hi Lydia,

A bit more investigation seems to suggest tha the Contact app is looking at the cellphone prefix e.g. 021 and then geolocating that to places in China so for 021 it says Shanghai.

I don't know why it is doing this but a fix is to replace the 0 with an international dailing code e.g. 0064.

David

Helpful?
David Medyckyj-Scott

Oct 21, 2018, 9:02:49 PM via Website

Yes and yes. See reply to Lydia's post.

Helpful?
David Medyckyj-Scott

Oct 21, 2018, 9:05:08 PM via Website

Well it was a refurbished phone I brought in New Zealand. Never assumed it was an ex Chinese one but I guess that's possible.

Helpful?