Chrome draining battery

• Replies:3
hybucket
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 12, 2018, 7:51:26 PM via Website

Since the latest Chrome update (69), Chrome is draining S5 battery up to 20% in a 12 hour period. Before the update, ran about 5%...big difference. I stopped using it a couple of days ago, and made the Samsung Internet app my default browser...big difference! Not a bad browser, either. But I'm still getting Chrome showing up on the USage Manager, with about 10% usage a day. Does Chrome use the battery even when it is not in use? I don't want to delete it (I don't even know if you can...), because someone told me that some Google stuff uses Chrome, even if you you don't.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Sep 12, 2018, 11:03:13 PM via Website

I had a s5 . When I purchased it I was warned about chrome!
It's a battery hog! And yes it uses battery even if you haven't activated it !
Go to setting then apps, pull up chrome and uninstall all updates,
Then disable the darn thing!
In my opinion chrome is a waste of storage space anyway!

Helpful?
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Sep 12, 2018, 11:48:57 PM via Website

In addition, to save battery life!
Your GPS . You only need this when you are using Google maps!
Switch your location setting to WiFi and mobile signal, this will increase your battery life! And you still be able to use maps, but you will not get audio turn by turn instructions.
Next; your WIFI signal locater is also draining your battery, shut it off untill you need it!
In my case all it ever did was locate secured signals and I couldn't use them without the password!
Shut these 2 features off untill you need them and your battery charge will last a lot longer!
Hope that helps!
Lindsay

— modified on Sep 12, 2018, 11:54:11 PM

Helpful?
IceInMyEyes
  • Forum posts: 13

Oct 11, 2018, 11:50:32 AM via Website

Not only the battery, but also RAM, chrome chews it like a steak!

Helpful?