Samsung S7 touchscreen has transient dead spots?

• Replies:5
Guest93
  • Forum posts: 3

Sep 12, 2018, 5:52:54 PM via Website

Up until a few days ago my S7 was working perfectly. Now there appear to be some "dead spots" where my touchscreen doesnt work, especially when swipe texting. These spots arent always there, and I can eventually press every spot/key and get a response after a few presses, but its super annoying and makes swipe texting and scrolling super annoying or impossible.

Phones never been dropped, and the only thing thats changed is that I installed a new update immediately before these issue occurred. The last update was version: G930W8VLS4CRH1/G930W8OYA4CRH1/G930W8VLS4CRH1.

What Ive tried:
1) uninstalling recently installed apps
2) the #0# touch test shows that there a particular area on the keyboard (Y--> and G-->K) where, when swyped over either doesnt get sensed, or causes the cursor to jump around and "spazz out"

Few questions:
1) Does this sound like a hardware issue or a software issue?
2) If its hardware, what needs to be fixed? Would it just be a screen replacement or are there more important underlying components that need fixing?
3) Could this be related to the new update or is the timing just a coincidence?

Thanks a lot in advance everyone!

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Sep 14, 2018, 2:31:46 AM via Website

I think that software update is the problem!
Samsung sent out a update called
8.0 Oreo with 9.0 Rom experience.
That update was ment only for the s7 model G935f. It was not intended for any other s7 model!
I own a s7 model smg930u.
I looked up that update on the internet and found out that this update was not ment for the 930s.
I called Samsung customer service.
They told me if I allow this update to install the beta features could conflict with my current software and cause all kinds of problems!
(Good thing I had my auto-update in my software update program turned off!)
I then asked Samsung, why they sent this update to my device, when they knew what it might do to my phone!
That's when the phone call got disconnected! And they never bothered to call me back!
This entire thing may have been a big mistake or it could have been a underhanded attempt to mess up my phone so I will buy one of their new phone's!
But the update numbers match the ones in your post! And I'm sorry to say I don't think there is any way for you to uninstall this update!
Not even a factory reset will remove a software update!
Sorry I can't give you a solution or even some good news. But it looks like you were just burnt by Samsungs greed!

Helpful?
Guest93

Sep 16, 2018, 2:27:24 AM via Website

Thank you so much for the reply! I have to admit Im pretty ignorant about all of these updates and operating systems, so I wouldnt even know how to look up what updates are for which devices.

Right now under software info on my phone it says: Android version: 8.0.0 and Samsung Experience Version: 9.0. Are those the updates or are the numbers I posted before (i.e. G930W8VLS4CRH1/G930W8OYA4CRH1/G930W8VLS4CRH1)?

Definitely interesting to hear that it may be due to the update and not a hardware issue as Ive had a few people suggest changing the screen (for $230).

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Sep 16, 2018, 1:30:18 PM via Website

Guest93
those are the same update numbers you posted before!
The update numbers in the update samsung is trying to put in my phone are,
G930UUEU4CRG2
G930UOYM4CRG2
G930UUEU4CRG2
You may have a different model of s7, so the numbers may differ slightly.
Replacing your screen might be the solution. Is your current screen showing any signs of pixel burn out? If not that may be a waste of time and money!
Question; the problems you are having, do they accure all the time or just when you are on the internet?
I just learned that other people are having similar problems after that update.
They said that the update corrupted some of their apps, and that's causing the problems.
What they did was to clear all cashed data. Go to your apps in settings.
Force stop your internet app. Clear all data. Then do a factory reset.
Try this before you replace your screen.
It might save you some money.

Helpful?
Guest93

Sep 17, 2018, 1:39:46 AM via Website

Thanks for the reply! I see, so those are the actual numbers for the update, thanks!

And I dont THINK there are any signs of pixel burnout; the screen otherwise looks the exact same as when I first used it.

These issues occur 100% of the time, regardless of whether Im in an app or on my home screen. I cleared the cache from my system and already did a factory reset, which didnt appear to help in any discernible way.

Its interesting that youve heard from others that are having the same issues though!

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Sep 17, 2018, 12:04:43 PM via Website

You cleared the cashed data on the internet app , did you also clear the other data? Remember force stop the app first!
Clear cashed data.
Then clear all data.
Then do a factory reset!
I have a post in the forum cafe called
Internet app. Someone called Nida370 has left a response to that post!
Go to that post and read it ! You may find your answers there!
But again, if your screen is showing no sign of burnt in images from other screens, replacing your screen may be unnecessary.
Go to that post I mention and read what Nida370 said!

— modified on Sep 17, 2018, 12:26:44 PM

Helpful?