Google Chromecast — Is There A Way To Stream Content To Our Smart TV With An External WiFi Connection?

• Replies:21
  • Answered
Russell Sheppard
  • Forum posts: 10

Jun 29, 2018, 11:57:00 PM via Website

Okay I have a question that might not make complete sense, but I want to ask it anyway. With our smart phones we can use an external WiFi connection and stream content to a smart TV's. The problem with this, is we need an external WiFi connection and we don't get to maximize our Unlimited cellular data plan. Is there a way that I can stream content, like Netflix, from my phones internet connection and not through an external internet driven WiFi network connection?

Best answer
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 499

Jun 30, 2018, 1:46:31 PM via Website

How about an android TV box, one of the cheap Chinese versions that use regular android not Android TV. you might be able to hook up though on of them. Plus they do not have all the licensing safe guards in them.

Helpful?
Russell Sheppard
Deactivated Account

Jun 30, 2018, 12:51:40 PM via Website

I am not sure I completely understand what you are trying to do. You can make your phone a Wi-Fi hot spot and log your TV into it using your data connection.

— modified on Jun 30, 2018, 12:55:45 PM

Helpful?
Russell Sheppard

Jun 30, 2018, 1:00:24 PM via Website

Thanks for the reply! I know it is difficult to explain this but basically since my phone has unlimited video streaming, I want to stream a service like Netflix, through my phone's internet connection, to my smart TV. So that way I don't need to Hotspot my phone and I won't need home Wi-Fi.

Helpful?
Russell Sheppard

Jun 30, 2018, 1:19:11 PM via Website

I just noticed that I put "External" Wi-Fi connection, I mean Without an external WiFi connection.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Jun 30, 2018, 1:35:26 PM via Website

You might be able to hook your phone to your TV via USB cable and connect that way. I used to do that for internet on my PC, before internet service came to where I live. I just do not know if it will work on a TV

Helpful?
Russell Sheppard

Jun 30, 2018, 1:38:02 PM via Website

I have tried that and it doesn't work. I even purchased a projector and that doesn't work either. Thanks for the advice though!

Helpful?
Best answer
Deactivated Account

Jun 30, 2018, 1:46:31 PM via Website

How about an android TV box, one of the cheap Chinese versions that use regular android not Android TV. you might be able to hook up though on of them. Plus they do not have all the licensing safe guards in them.

Helpful?
Russell Sheppard
Russell Sheppard

Jun 30, 2018, 3:01:29 PM via Website

Thanks! Yeah I can try that. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Helpful?
John Martin
  • Forum posts: 20

Jun 30, 2018, 4:35:57 PM via Website

Try a hard-wire to HDMI on TV and then use phone as usual...

Helpful?
Russell Sheppard

Jun 30, 2018, 5:25:17 PM via Website

I have tried that with both of my phones and a tablet, but no luck so far. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Helpful?
John Martin

Jun 30, 2018, 5:41:17 PM via Website

Download content and then play/cast it.

I have a great Android TV box...
But that relies on WiFi or LAN (E45) connection.

If your phone has a USB type C socket then rhat could link to LAN without using the WiFi...

Helpful?
Russell Sheppard

Jun 30, 2018, 9:19:31 PM via Website

I have the Google Pixel Xl on the Verizon network. So I don't know if that is capable with my phone. So far I haven't been able to get the phone to connect to any projector, any HDMI etc. So I honestly don't know what my phone can do.

Helpful?
John Martin

Jul 1, 2018, 6:58:44 AM via Website

Google it Russell... 😏

Helpful?
Russell Sheppard

Jul 1, 2018, 12:38:26 PM via Website

I have and that is why I am here asking about it.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Jul 1, 2018, 1:07:35 PM via Website

My question is why do you need to do this with out external Wi-Fi?

Helpful?
Russell Sheppard

Jul 1, 2018, 1:14:41 PM via Website

Because I want to drop Comcast and cellular Hotspot is limited. I only get 15GBs of Hotspot but unlimited data through my phone.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account
Deactivated Account

Jul 1, 2018, 1:26:19 PM via Website

I think the Android TV is your best bet, I am not sure it will work. Without Wi-Fi it is the only interface that might work since it is the same OS.

Helpful?
Russell Sheppard
Deactivated Account

Jul 1, 2018, 1:32:22 PM via Website

just found this on you tube it might help you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTbFDu-BWmM

Helpful?
John Martin
rovinnewman
  • Forum posts: 12

Jul 3, 2018, 10:14:17 AM via Website

Good Mate

Helpful?
Russell Sheppard

Jul 3, 2018, 1:10:15 PM via Website

I just wanted to say Thank You to everyone for giving me so much great advice! I'm hoping that this will give me a way to stream content off of my phone ((Without An External WiFi Connection)).

Helpful?
Deactivated Account
jamesharison
  • Forum posts: 11

Jul 5, 2018, 8:06:14 PM via Website

Hey thanks, It worked for me.

Helpful?
jamesharison
  • Forum posts: 11

Jul 5, 2018, 8:15:39 PM via Website

Thanks for the solution

Helpful?