How do I transfer chats from my old phone+old SIM to my new phone+new SIM?

• Replies:1
kubi pro
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 15, 2017, 4:55:42 AM via Website

Hi,
So I had a Moto G 2014, and I bought a Moto G5 plus. I want to transfer my WhatsApp chats and media from the old SIM in the G 2014 to the new SIM in the G5+. I'd prefer to do it locally, using crypt12 files if possible, but of course if it isn't I'm open to using Google Drive. Thanks!

Bastian Siewers
  • Forum posts: 9,729

Dec 15, 2017, 10:14:50 AM via Website

Hi kubi pro, welcome to AndroidPIT! :)

WhatsApp offers to options to transfer your WhatsApp data. You can store a backup locally on your old phone and move it via PC for example to the new phone. The 2nd option is using Google Drive to store the backup in the cloud. As long as your Google account is also set up on the new phone, WhatsApp will find the backup by itself and restore it.

As far as I can tell you will have a new number on your new phone, right? If so, you will need to change the number on your old phone first. You don't need to install the SIM card in your old phone for that, it only needs to be accessible. You can switch your number in the settings of WhatsApp. If you don't do that, you will not be able to restore the data, as it is tied to the phone number.