Google Nexus 5 — Android versions

• Replies:2
Pesh Arjan
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 7, 2017, 12:59:28 AM via Website

I have a Nexus 5 phone that I use and like and it has Android version 6.01.
I have been advised to get a 7.0 version phone as it is more efficient..
Is there a major difference between the 6.01 and 7.0.
Can i continue using a 6.01 for the next couple of years or I am going to find it difficult to use apps on the older version..?

WhitePalm22
  • Forum posts: 18

Nov 7, 2017, 10:09:13 AM via Website

Hi Pesh, After upgrading to Nougat 7.0 from Marshmallow, all the apps will be updated automatically. It means you won't face any difficulty in using your previously installed apps or newer apps vise-versa .

— modified on Nov 7, 2017, 10:10:19 AM

Bastian Siewers
  • Forum posts: 9,729

Nov 7, 2017, 10:12:19 AM via Website

Hi Pesh, welcome to AndroidPIT! :)

As of right now, you should be fine with Android 6.0.1, as it should still run fine. Keep in mind that not only Android versions are important, but also the security patches. Sadly the Nexus 5 is not receiving any updates anymore, neither new Android versions nor any security patches.

It is possible that at some point some apps will not run anymore because Android 6.0.1 is too old for them, but the chance that that happens rather soon is pretty slim.

What you can do is switch to so-called Custom Roms. These are firmwares build by developers for the phones. With those, you will have a newer Android version on your phone. Here is a quick overview.

Btw, I also moved your thread to a different spot in the forum, as it fits better to the topic :)