Moving WhatsApp chat history between Android phones

• Replies:4
Ploni Lmoni
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 7, 2017, 4:11:02 PM via Website

Hello

I've been trying to move my WhatsApp chat history from my old LG G3 to my new Galaxy S8. Seemingly a simple process that is built into the app itself. However, after repeating failures to perform the restore from both local file and google drive backup, WhatsApp support team informed me that my chat history DB is corrupt and it is unrecoverable as far as they concern. I told them that I have no problem to reactivate and use the app on my old phone and that on the surface it seems that everything is intact, or at least not that broken... I did look into the logs they asked me to send them and I can see error events indicating some problems with the DB.

Has anyone ever encountered such a problem ?

I googled it and there are 3rd party programs/apps claiming to be able to do the transfer themselves - mostly used for switching between iphone and android - but if I understand the method correctly it seems that they should be able to overcome my DB corruption as they will decrypt and scan the DB and will skip whatever record is problematic (unlike the app that failes the entire process). They should actually "repair" it.

Does anybody has any experience with such a program and can say it actually worked ? I'm concerened about data security and reliability. Please take into consideration I can root my old phone if needed, although prefer not to, but cannot do it with the new one.

I really don't mind paying for it, even more than just a few bucks...

Thansk !

Bella Tse
  • Forum posts: 6

Oct 10, 2017, 11:31:56 AM via Website

Wechat has synchronize message history function. But I am not so sure if that whatsapp has the same.

James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,584

Oct 12, 2017, 4:14:06 AM via Website

Are you sure that your chat history DB is really corrupt?
Anyway, I think you may try to backup your chat history to google drive again, and then try to restore it on your new phone. Good luck to you.

— modified on Oct 12, 2017, 4:14:38 AM

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.

Ryan Dennis
  • Forum posts: 10

Oct 12, 2017, 9:51:33 AM via Website

Is there any way by which I can get back media files (photos, videos,etc) on Whatsapp, which I may have accidently deleted from my phone?