Samsung Galaxy S4 — S4 (GT-I9505 [LTE?]) stuck in reboot loop, and recovery "System Update" failed" with no recover menu

• Replies:1
Wenger786
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 1, 2017, 2:37:57 PM via Website

My S4 wanted to install an update: before letting it proceed I thought it would be good to backup - however after/during backup (Kies 3/Smart Switch on Windows 10) something happened, and now it fails to boot fully - just ends up on a constant boot cycle, almost as if the system update was run but corrupted.:

Boot (Cycle)

1. get the Samsung splash screen with the model number, followed, eventually with 
  2. the Samsung colourful graphics "fireworks" which stop, and then the phone Vibrates/buzzes twice, and then restarts, 
  3. GOTO '1' - repeating itself continuously.

Recovery Mode

Manage to get a recovery logo by using Power+VolUp+Home, and releasing power at logo. When I do this the device goes straight into a "installing system update" with Droid wiggling ears, then appears to crash out of that with "no command" and comatose Droid animation and return to the familiar faulty boot/cycling behaviour.

When I was backing up, Kies had reported, 
Current version: PDA:OJ2 / PHONE:OJ2 / csc:0J1 (BTU)
Latest version: PDA:PK2 / PHONE:PK2 / csc:PK1 (BTU)
Size: 1458 MB

Don't seem to be able to do much else (hard reset or wipe cache). I think I can get into download mode - Someone suggested using Odin or Kies to re-flash the device with stock firmware, which sounds about right.

Please help.

Wenger786

Network unlocked phone - sim on monthly with Three / Hutchinson network UK.

Wenger786
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 3, 2017, 2:39:32 AM via Website

Okay so Kies 3 and Smart Switch say that the 9505 cannot be "initialised":

Kies3 says:
"Model name: GT-1505
'GT-1505' does not support initialising. "

Smart Switch says :
"Model name: GT-19505
'GT-lg505' does not support initialising.
Please contact our service centre. "

Odin Reports:
Added!!
Enter CS for MD5..
Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
Please wait..
Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
Leave CS..
Odin engine v(ID:3.1203)..
File analysis..
SetupConnection..
Initialzation..
Get PIT for mapping..
Firmware update start..
SingleDownload.
aboot.mbn
FAIL!

Complete(Write) operation failed.
All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I suppose this implies the wrong Flash files has been used?

The Device was bought from Three in the UK, and is the GT-I9505, however it never splash-screen the network logo or anything: Recent Verson history AFAIK has been:

I9505XXUHOE3
I9505XXUHOJ2
And then POSSIBLEY a failed update to I9505XXUHPK2

I've tried I9505XXUHOJ2_I9505BTUHOJ1_BTU, and I9505XXUHPK2_I9505BTUHPK1_BTU from www.sammobile.com - these both produce the "Complete(Write) operation failed" error, however, I used the "BTU" versions - should I be using the H3G versions?

Many thanks.

Wenger786