Whatsapp media auto-download issue

• Replies:8
Zachary Gottlieb
  • Forum posts: 2

Jan 14, 2017, 8:00:16 PM via Website

In Whatsapp, I have switched off media auto-download for images in the Data Usage section.

However, annoyingly, images are still showing up in their own "Whatsapp" folder. I am guessing this is because I open the images within Whatsapp, which automatically saves them to the gallery.

Is there a way to change this behaviour? I would still like to be able to open and view images without having them automatically downloaded. Is there not a way to open an image and THEN decide whether to save it or not to my gallery, like on an iPhone?

Thank you in advance for the help.

PakRayon
  • Forum posts: 48

Jan 16, 2017, 3:21:10 AM via Website

Find a relative FAQ on WhatsApp. Hope it helps.
How to stop saving WhatsApp media to phone gallery?
When you download a media in WhatsApp, it will be automatically saved to your phone gallery. However, you can stop the media from being displayed in your phone's gallery. To do so, you will need to create a .nomedia file in the WhatsApp images folder. Note: this will hide all of your WhatsApp pictures from the gallery.
First, you will need to have a file explorer. You can download a file explorer from the Google Play Store.
After downloading a file explorer, you will need to browse to WhatsApp/Media/WhatsApp Images/ and create a file named .nomedia (the period is necessary).
If you wish to view your photos in the gallery later, simply delete the .nomedia file.

— modified on Jan 16, 2017, 3:21:51 AM

mohit jainVinceeeTerry Penc

Zachary Gottlieb
  • Forum posts: 2

Jan 17, 2017, 6:15:04 PM via Website

I saw this, thank you - but it doesn't allow you to selectively decide which images to download or not. It's all or nothing, which is not what I need.

I find it very odd this doesn't exist :/ Why shouldn't I be able to select which images I want to save to my gallery or not? I know this is possible on iPhone, which makes it even more frustrating..

Bestusefulitps
  • Forum posts: 20

Jan 19, 2017, 10:30:44 AM via Website

In android device, you can not particular decided which image is save on gallery or not. You can only select which data automatically download when mobile data / Wi-Fi is on in your android phone.

WhatsApp > Settings > Data usage > Media auto-download

mohit jain
  • Forum posts: 3

Jan 19, 2017, 1:47:59 PM via Website

well in whatsapp. if you dont want to save any images to gallery. simply after scrolling or downloading ,manually delete it from messages at the time of reading the messages.. it also prompt "delete media from gallery also". Read download review and delete..

— modified on Jan 19, 2017, 1:50:39 PM

Dheeraj Tiwari
  • Forum posts: 10

Jan 20, 2017, 6:39:25 AM via Website

reset it

Dheeraj Tiwari
  • Forum posts: 10

Jan 20, 2017, 6:39:49 AM via Website

try to reset

Rothman
  • Forum posts: 20

Jan 20, 2017, 9:44:37 AM via Website

If I were you, I will:
Tap to view the image, after that if still want to delete it, then long press the image and tap delete.
Then the image you don't want will be deleted from your phone storage.

FJ Soekahar
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 27, 2017, 4:37:39 AM via Website

I have very similar problems.
All files sent with WA Messages are always filed in the Gallery either images or movies or even pdf’s.
When I clean the gallery one by one I have to do I from Gallery, but the files are still there as seen/cleaned with All in One Toolbox (an Android app). However, selecting images to clean is quite easy and fast, but for movies it will take times before the movies is played.
This problem has caused my RAM memory is now only 47%, while the ROM left only 10%.

I just tried to change to no media for all options in: SETTINGS  Data Usage Media auto-download.
Hopefully will prevent downloading any file from WA into memory.

Any better idea please help.