Motorola Moto G 4G — unable to transfer files from laptop to moto g 4 mobile

• Replies:9
Narayanan Subbaramaiyer
  • Forum posts: 6

Sep 21, 2016, 10:24:52 AM via Website

dear all

i have recently bought moto g 4 mobile. previously i was using samsung mobile. i am unable to copy music files from laptop to moto g 4 mobile. the device is detected by the system. when i try to copy the music files, a message comes saying the device is not working or disconnected.

in samsung there was not problem at all.

please help me in this respect by giving steps to get the music files copied to moto g 4 mobile.

thanks

m s narayanan

Bastian Siewers
  • Forum posts: 9,729

Sep 21, 2016, 10:39:32 AM via Website

Hi Narayanan, welcome to AndroidPIT! :)

Try activating USB-Debugging in the settings, that helps most of the times. You can find this option after activating the Developer-Settings. Open your Settings, scroll all the way down to "About Phone" and tap your Build-Number seven times. You will get a message at the bottom saying you are a developer now :)

After you are finished the developer options will appear right above "About Phone".

Narayanan Subbaramaiyer

Sep 21, 2016, 11:27:40 AM via Website

dear mr bastian
thanks for your immediate reply. when i pressed seven times, i got a message saying i am a developer.
the moto g 4 mobile is detected by the system. when i tried to copy a folder containing music to mobile
i got a screen as below:
copy to device: do you want to be able to play selected media files as your device.
yes; recommended

when i clicked the "yes - recommended" the following message appears:

cannot copy item: the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnectd.

please guide me as to where i went wrong and give me some tips so that i can music
files to moto g 4 mobile for hearing offline.

thanks

m s narayanan

Bastian Siewers

Sep 21, 2016, 1:55:47 PM via Website

Just asking to make sure, did you actually activate USB-Debugging?

And are you using a USB port on the front of the PC or the back? If you are using one on the front, please try one on the back as the front ones often have issues.

Narayanan Subbaramaiyer

Sep 21, 2016, 2:30:31 PM via Website

dear sir
i did activate debugging. all along i was using usb port on side of the dell laptop. on your advice, i tried
all the other two usb ports. though the device name appears on the screen, music files do not get copied.

in your opinion, if the usb ports are doing the mischief please advise me as to how this could be solved.

thank you

m s narayanan

Bastian Siewers

Sep 21, 2016, 4:46:07 PM via Website

Hi,

well other than using a different cable, there is not much else I can think of :(

If really nothing helps, I would try to copy data wirelessly. Their are lots of apps offering solutions for that, I would recommend AirDroid. You can do lots of things with this tool, but I used it most often to simply transfer data.

Анатолий Навроцкий
  • Forum posts: 80

Sep 22, 2016, 2:13:03 AM via Website

try download new drivers

Narayanan Subbaramaiyer

Sep 22, 2016, 11:29:06 AM via Website

Dear sir
Thank you very much for your guidance.
I download airdroid and transferred music files to mobile and it is working fine.in the meantime I shall go in for a new cable.
Thank you once again
m s narayanan

Lyndon Connah
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 10, 2016, 8:01:58 PM via Website

I did what you suggested (i.e. activated USB debugging) on my Moto G4, but when I connect to my mac pro, I still get the message 'can't access device storage', when using Android File Transfer. It worked fine with my friend's Samsung.