Whatsapp restore doesn't work

• Replies:7
Tyr0ne
  • Forum posts: 26

Jun 26, 2016, 1:22:10 PM via Website

Hi,
I just got my new Samsung S7 as well as e new SIM and tried to move my whatsapp account from my old S5 to the S7. So I followed the FAQ instructions: First I changed my number on the old device, second I created a backup (both on the phone storage and on Google drive). Then I transferred my whole whatsapp folder (including the backup) to the new phone and connected with Google drive. Lastly I installed whatsapp and verified the new phone number. BUT I wasn't even asked whether I wanted to restore my old chats. I tried this serveral times with new backup files, restarts, etc. No results whatsoever.

Any advice?

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Jun 26, 2016, 6:35:21 PM via Website

1 When you put the backup file onto your new phone make sure you put it in the Whatsapp phone storage and not the SD card.

2nd method

• Uninstall WhatsApp
    Choose which backup file you want to restore.
    Rename that file from "msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.8.db.crypt" to "msgstore.db.crypt"
    Install WhatsApp , When asked to restore, tap restore.

Also check this https://www.nextpit.com/how-to-transfer-whatsapp-conversations-to-new-devices

— modified on Jun 26, 2016, 6:36:10 PM

Ready To Help You.

Ann Johnson
  • Forum posts: 5

Jul 14, 2016, 10:05:16 AM via Website

try to reinstall the app

Charles Mitchell
  • Forum posts: 4

Sep 7, 2016, 10:02:59 PM via Website

Hi, I am having the same problem. I just bought an S7 edge. My old samsung didn't back up in a month so files restored on my edge are a month out of date. I tried to back up my whatsapp chat from old phone to google drive again, but it wouldn't back up ... it stays idle in 'preparing back up' mode for 8 hours without backing up my whatsapp files. So I moved all my whatsapp files to my edge via bluetooth. from what I have been reading I need to move these files to a specific folder: whatsapp databases. However, they are sitting in recent files folder and there appears to be no option in S7 edge to move files from this folder, so I can only share and delete them if I click all of them. There's not even a way to cut and paste. Can anyone help?

— modified on Sep 7, 2016, 10:42:20 PM

Charles Mitchell
  • Forum posts: 4

Sep 7, 2016, 10:07:01 PM via Website

I was able to move the files via the download folder instead of recent files. I copied all the files to the whatsapp databases folder of my new edge S7. What do I do now that the whatsapp files from my old phone are now in the whatsapp folder of my new phone. What's my next step to restore these chats to whatsapp?...right now nothing has changed on whatsapp when I opened it.

— modified on Sep 7, 2016, 10:42:38 PM

Christy Paul
  • Forum posts: 29

Apr 25, 2017, 8:25:37 AM via Website

I had this painful condition before, and try many methods.
If you want to restore the local backup file which you transferred from your old Samsung S5 when you set up the WhatsApp, you have to remove the google Drive account in WhatsApp setting first. Otherwise, the WhatsApp will try to restore from Google Drive. looks a little complicated. And before you finish these previous step, do no log in your WhatsApp account in the new phone.
Go to this article about how to transfer WhatsApp message from Samsung S5 to S7, there are detailed steps.

Ran Azulay
  • Forum posts: 3

Sep 26, 2017, 11:14:24 PM via Website

I have the exact same problem but i have the same phone number !

If you were able to fix it please tell me how ! I tried everything !!!

RBsteal

Steven
  • Forum posts: 118

Apr 20, 2020, 12:53:51 PM via Website

Select the backup file to restore.

Rename the backup file from "msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.8.db.crypt" to "msgstore.db.crypt"

Make sure the backup file is in your memory storage and not in the SD card.

Install WhatsApp on S7, when the system asks to restore, click "Restore".