Contacting someone abroad via WhatsApp

• Replies:4
Rosemary Cummins
  • Forum posts: 3

Jun 3, 2016, 9:12:51 PM via Website

Hi, my son is in Thailand and wants me to use WhatsApp to stay in touch. Do I have to make any changes to his mobile number in order for chats to work. I haven't been able to get through. He says he has sent me a message but I have not received it. Many thanks.
Confused Mum!!

pentel
  • Forum posts: 251

Jun 3, 2016, 9:52:43 PM via Website

Rosemary Cummins

Hi, my son is in Thailand and wants me to use WhatsApp to stay in touch. Do I have to make any changes to his mobile number in order for chats to work. I haven't been able to get through. He says he has sent me a message but I have not received it. Many thanks.
Confused Mum!!

Have you install WhatsApp? If not, you need to install WhatsApp.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whatsapp

Rosemary Cummins

Jun 3, 2016, 10:00:43 PM via Website

Yep it is installed and I have no problem using it at home for chats. Just wonder if I need to add any digits or remove any digits. Currently his no begins with +44. Do I need to change when messaging to Thailand?

Thanks R

pentel
  • Forum posts: 251

Jun 4, 2016, 2:55:51 AM via Website

Rosemary Cummins

Yep it is installed and I have no problem using it at home for chats. Just wonder if I need to add any digits or remove any digits. Currently his no begins with +44. Do I need to change when messaging to Thailand?

Thanks R

No, you do not need to change or remove anything. His number should still stay as +44. The problem is likely due to him not being connected to a wifi or he does not have a data plan in Thailand. If he's on wifi or has data in Thailand, you should be able to chat with him.

Rosemary Cummins

Jun 4, 2016, 3:04:51 AM via Website

Many thanks. I have received two messages from him but they were sent in flight. He does have data so I will wait and see. R.