Native Android app development from the command line

• Replies:1
Fred
  • Forum posts: 1

Apr 23, 2016, 4:12:06 PM via Website

Hello All,

I am mostly a PHP/Javascript/SQL/CSS guy. I have done some Java a few years ago so I am not too concerned about not being able to pick it up as I go along. I also does a lot of Linux setup + admin = the command line does not scare me. I have already got an Ubuntu 14.04 server setup with the Android SDK, Java, Node and Phonegap CLI which I use to build hybrid Android apps: WinSCP to view/edit files in Notepad++ and an SSH client to do the actual lifting from the command line.

I now want to take the plunge and start building native Android apps - I'll start nice and easy with a Hello World app and then I want to graduate to modifying the Push demo - I am not currently allowed to post links so let me explain: Pushy is an independent alternative to GCM - app to my own needs. I am a back-to-basics sort of guy who loathes installing overweight IDEs on my local machine so I would prefer to continue working the way I am with my remote Phonegap builds. However, given that I have never done this before I thought I would ask here -

1. will this be feasible and, if so, what other components do I need to add to my current Java + Android SDK stack do I need
    to add?
  2. Where can I find a decent guide to building Android apps from the command line?

I'd be most grateful for any tips and advice.

Vladimir S.
  • Forum posts: 266

Apr 23, 2016, 5:28:22 PM via Website

Hello.
There on the Google Android developer portal you can find paragraph "Get just the command line tools". Hope it will be usefull.