Moving my SD card from my old S4 to my new S7 - won't work!

• Replies:3
Raidan Dodds
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 26, 2016, 7:26:55 PM via Website

Hi Folks

Got a nice shiny new Samsung Galaxy S7 but all my apps were on the SD card of my old S4 - obviously ran out of space which is one of the main reasons I got the S7. For the life of my and Google searches I cannot find a way to move this to the new phone - the obvious first attempt is just moving the card. That doesn't work.

Would be most grateful for a solution because I've had the S7 for weeks now and haven't even used it because all my apps are on the SD card!

Many thanks in advance
R

Vladimir S.
  • Forum posts: 266

Mar 27, 2016, 3:48:57 PM via Website

Hi. You can install apps on S7 from Google Play and transfer settings and other apps' data from S4 with Samsung Smart Switch app.

Raidan Dodds
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 27, 2016, 4:43:56 PM via Website

Hi Vlad

Thanks for the reply.

The Smart Switch worked fine (though VERY slow - took 3.5 hours! With the lovely new USB to Micro USB adaptor that comes with the S7 you can do it direct) BUT... it is all the apps on the SD card that I had in the S4 that I can't move. I can't bear the idea of having to re-install each app one by one onto the S7 from the Play Store again.

So basically, I want a way to move the SD card from old phone to new phone and that the S7 sees all the Apps that are on it. It seem that there isn't a way which is a little ridiculous in this day and age when obviously S4 users will have lots of apps on their SD card because the old phone was full.

Regards
R

Vladimir S.
  • Forum posts: 266

Mar 27, 2016, 11:22:14 PM via Website

There are 2 another ways to transfer apps:

1. On S4 go to Settings - Accounts tab - Backup and reset. Check "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore", also set Backup account.
    On S7 add that account and apps will be restored automatically.
  2. Use AppBrain app on S4, AppBrain with Fast Web Installer on S7.

But both ways do not use your SD...

Have a nice day :)

— modified on Mar 27, 2016, 11:25:13 PM