HTC One (M8) — Lost Rear Camera on my M8

• Replies:9
Dave Lerner
  • Forum posts: 4

Dec 16, 2015, 6:50:49 AM via Website

Two days ago, I was able to take pictures using the rear camera on my One M8. Today, I can no longer do that. The rear camera choice is GONE from the choices in the phone. I can only choose Selfie or Photo Booth and both only use the front camera. An update must have broken this. I un-installed the latest HTC Camera app update but it didn't help. I have no idea what to do. I have restarted the phone twice with no luck. Even tried using the Camera app from the main app area. I no longer have any way to access the rear camera and take pics of people. Please send advice.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 263

Dec 16, 2015, 5:49:11 PM via Website

Try to Reboot your device and do the Hard Reset if necessary.

Looking for security app? Try Leo Privacy Guard 3.0.

Join Our Christmas Contest by visiting our Facebook page LEO Privacy Guard

Dave Lerner

Dec 16, 2015, 6:36:43 PM via Website

I've rebooted it twice and still not here. How do I do a hard reset? Does it wipe everything out?

VC2015
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 20, 2015, 8:54:35 PM via Website

Dave I have exact same problem..........did you get sorted?

Dave Lerner

Dec 21, 2015, 1:46:22 AM via Website

Yes and no. I went to HTC.com and did a live chat. They had me go into Recovery mode (where you see the 3 Android guys on the skateboards) and choose Wipe Cache. Then a Reboot system now. Then you go into Settings, Apps and find the Camera app. Force stop it, clear the data, clear the cache and my problem went away. I could take pics from the rear and front lenses.

3 days later, a new problem came. Now the Camera app cannot recognize the front and rear lenses. I literally cannot take any pics on this phone now. So, today, there was no live chat available, but you can call them at 866-449-8358. I spoke to a guy who walked me thru the same steps but it failed to get the Camera app working again. So now he says I have to do a factory reset! Which means I have to back-up my files first to my laptop and then wipe everything out. He did not promise that this wipe out would even work. I am very reluctant to do a factory reset.

IMO, this is a SW bug with their Camera app code. Updates messed it up. I may have to get a new phone and just use this for my backup insurance. I have lost faith in HTC and will probably go to a different vendor. I cannot believe that this happened. The battery is great on this phone but their updates ruin things. I will not do a factory reset. That you are having similar problem means its their code.

— modified on Dec 21, 2015, 2:11:02 AM

PhotoWorks Interactive Photobooth Rentals of San Jose

Blair Chen
  • Forum posts: 38

Dec 21, 2015, 2:58:36 AM via Website

Try to do a factory reset. But it will wipe out internal memory data, so back up in advantage.

Dave Lerner

Dec 21, 2015, 4:51:38 AM via Website

I don't feel like doing that. The camera on this M8 sucked anyway. I'm either going to carry a camera with me more often until I am out of contract or I will get a new phone, not from HTC.

Sinai Ca
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 7, 2016, 4:59:40 PM via Website

Tried it, didn't work. Did anyone find a solution?

andrewstop
  • Forum posts: 2

May 2, 2017, 9:12:03 AM via Website

Thanks for sharing

PhotoWorks Interactive Photobooth Rentals of San Jose
  • Forum posts: 3

Apr 11, 2018, 8:04:58 AM via Website

Thanks for sharing information.
I am also facing this problem.