Bluetooth Pan DNS hostname to pull form DHCP server rather than the android creating its own?

• Replies:0
Rod Kashani
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 3, 2015, 1:41:35 AM via Website

Hey guys,
So I have a bluetooth pan on a raspberry pi which gives an ip and Internet connection to an android, in this case the S6 edge. I am given an ip address, however I can't communicate with other devices on the network. I do receive Internet though. It seems the android is assigning itself a dns hostname, which separates itself from the rest of the network. I could be wrong, but when laptops connect to the same pan network, they are given the dhcp information from the router and they can communicate over the network with the ip's being given to them from the bluetooth access point.
The laptops have a hostname of TP-link_D5DE and the android has android_9xxxxxx
Can the android adopt dhcp hostname info via Bluetooth pan? Can I change this name? Is it possible without root if so?
I understand there was somewhat of an issue with dhcp "hooks" back in the day where the bluetooth controller couldn't retrieve this information but I read that on a forum which was a few years old and also read it was fixed on newer versions of android.
I plan on have an app with a webview client call on this IP resource as you would in a web browser. Is it possible to have this app issue a dns name?
Thanks!