Samsung Galaxy Note 4 — Note 4 vs. Note 5

• Replies:15
Joseph Washburn
  • Forum posts: 4

Aug 16, 2015, 2:45:53 AM via Website

OK, I'm new here, and looking for some help. This week I am planning on getting a new phone. Currently I have the Galaxy S4. I like it, but the 16GB memory is just too small. I'm also finding that the screen is too small...or at least my eyes are getting too old for its screen.

I have decided that I want a Note...I like the screen size, and based on my previous tablet experience I have decided that I want a phone with a stylus/S Pen.

Over the recent weeks I have been following rumors, articles, and posts about the new Note 5. I keep going back and forth between the Note 4 and Note 5, so I'm looking for help. Any thoughts between the two phones, based on what you know, would be appreciated. The sealed battery and lack of micro SD card is not a deal killer for me, so I would ask that we not make that the focus of the conversation here. I do like the new S-pen menu (not sure what you actually call it) on the new Note 5. Not sure if that will be available on some upgrade to the Note 4. Your honest assessments and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help!

PJ

tony
  • Forum posts: 2

Aug 16, 2015, 1:29:05 PM via Website

I have been using the Note series phones since the Note2, which I finally gave away to one of my nephews last month.
I currently use the Note 4 and also have the Note 3 somewhere around the house.
I personally don't see a good enough reason to upgrade to the Note5, from the Note4, or even the Note 3!... Yes the Note5 looks cool, new technology, shinny, blingy and whatever other bells and whistles that come with it but my Note 4 is just about perfect, at least for me and at least for me right now.PLUS, when you do ad a case, all that pizazz will disappear and the plastic will be BACK!
MY Note4 is still quick, camera is great and the 64G Samsung Pro SD card is something I am not ready to give up! 32G is not enough for a phone without an SD...definitely 64G has to be the bare minimum, which has an MSRP of well over 1000$...!

Salt6288

Sculptedstylus
  • Forum posts: 5

Aug 16, 2015, 3:25:37 PM via Website

I just want to second everything that Tony said in the previous post. I have a Note 4, my first Note, and love it. I was so ready to upgrade to the next Note, but after much research and deliberation, the Note 5 seems more like a downgrade! Besides the points that Tony made, the battery, besides being unreachable, has less juice than the 4. If I were buying a Note for the first time, I believe I would opt for the 4, rather than the 5...and it's cheaper, too!

Salt6288Kevin Fagan

Joseph Washburn
  • Forum posts: 4

Aug 16, 2015, 11:28:48 PM via Website

Thanks Tony and Sculotedstylus. Does anyone use the finger print scanner onthe Now 4 much...I do hear that is better on the 5. Note sure if I would use it out just kinda neat. As I mentioned earlier I really like in S-pen menu, but not sure if there is much added improvements to the pen. I need a new phone this week. Right now at Verizon there is only about a 100 difference price...still leaning toward the 5, but I keep going back and forth.

Sculptedstylus

Aug 17, 2015, 1:04:04 AM via Website

Joseph, I use the fingerprint scanner every time I unlock my phone! It took some time and experimentation to get it right, but it's fairly reliable now.

Junaid Q.
  • Forum posts: 76

Aug 17, 2015, 5:01:27 PM via Website

I will prefer Note 4
Because of removable SD and Battery ,I dont think 4 GB ram is necessary for me and most of user I us my S4 which have only 2 GB ram
and works well after some tweaking
from my point of view Note 4 is best

Sculptedstylus

Aug 17, 2015, 6:50:22 PM via Website

I don't think it will happen, but I'm kind'f hoping that sales of the Note 5 will be so abominable that Samsung will bring back the removable back and storage capabilities to the Note 6, yeah! :)

OTACORB
  • Forum posts: 2

Aug 18, 2015, 4:56:44 AM via Website

Given a choice between these two I'd have to stay with the Note 4. I see no real reason whatsoever to upgrade. I think Samsung really missed the mark this time around. I also do think the sales of the Note 5 will be worse than the Note 4. Which serves them right! They trying so hard to go after the premium market and take on Apple heads on. You aren't going to beat Apple at the game they created and you darn't sure can't going to beat them on profit for smartphones.

Penelope Channing
  • Forum posts: 14

Aug 18, 2015, 9:24:23 AM via Website

I prefer Note 4. Because it supports microSD. With an external SD card, I can download so many things without worrying about the storage. And also, Note 4 has a removable battery. I like it.

Hamidd
  • Forum posts: 12

Aug 19, 2015, 9:57:58 AM via Website

If you don't care about the new Note 5 design language and its premium build, then it's safe to say the the Note 4 is the best for you.

— modified on Aug 19, 2015, 9:58:24 AM

Darrell Harding
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 22, 2015, 5:19:39 AM via Website

Joseph Washburn

OK, I'm new here, and looking for some help. This week I am planning on getting a new phone. Currently I have the Galaxy S4. I like it, but the 16GB memory is just too small. I'm also finding that the screen is too small...or at least my eyes are getting too old for its screen.

I have decided that I want a Note...I like the screen size, and based on my previous tablet experience I have decided that I want a phone with a stylus/S Pen.

Over the recent weeks I have been following rumors, articles, and posts about the new Note 5. I keep going back and forth between the Note 4 and Note 5, so I'm looking for help. Any thoughts between the two phones, based on what you know, would be appreciated. The sealed battery and lack of micro SD card is not a deal killer for me, so I would ask that we not make that the focus of the conversation here. I do like the new S-pen menu (not sure what you actually call it) on the new Note 5. Not sure if that will be available on some upgrade to the Note 4. Your honest assessments and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help!

PJ

Note 4 is my first Android\Samsung phone and I couldn't he happier! It has a steep learning curve, but I have time and I'm enjoying the journey after coming from an iphone where everything is done for you.

Paulie Pham
  • Forum posts: 97

Aug 22, 2015, 6:27:21 AM via Website

as what you concern about the ability of Note 4 and Note 5. I recommend Note 4.
I use Note 5 and my brother (he lives with me) use Note 4.

Note 4 is a better choice in my opinion

Jose Rodriguez

nightflyer2131

Aug 24, 2015, 4:40:15 AM via Website

Well I have da note 4 love it to death I know u have pbly read all about the damage thts going on with the note 4 I don't know about tht but like I said I love my note to death. And since ur going blind just like I am heck yes this is da phone for u as for the note 5 yea I don't know the battery is not a big issue cause I bought a mophie charger so I'm gud with tht part but the memory SD card is the suck part in my book I got 64 gb card in there I'm gud tell stuff freezes over .
I really love this note 4 it's great all around and the 5 has a glass back like thts not gana chatter yea right need case thts a given. But I u want I tell u get the note 4 it's great pop a 128 gb card and it's done deal wait I might just do tht for my phone gud luck with ur decision .

nightflyer2131

Aug 24, 2015, 4:46:14 AM via Website

Concur !

nightflyer2131

Aug 24, 2015, 4:52:24 AM via Website

Look i came from being a long time fan boy of apple the note 4 was sold on me line hook and sinker love it to death, now I look at the note 5 man I'm looking at apple and thts not what I want at all not to look like apple. Come on samsung if u want to bring more apple fans over BE UR SELF !

Jaskulski
  • Forum posts: 31

Feb 7, 2017, 11:38:56 AM via Website

There are some products that go pass this problem. You can get a battery case. Or a memory extender for the note 5. But I will recommend the I-blades that solves the both problems at the same time. It's a modular case that gives you protection, extra battery and a 64 GB extra memory. You can use it at the time you need, snap it off when you don't want to have bulk to your phone. The Note 5 is obviously a better choice.
Cheers