Samsung Galaxy S3 — [HELP please] Sugar water spilled over Galaxy S3

• Replies:3
Strega
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 26, 2015, 1:29:04 AM via Website

3 days ago (sunday) my boyfriend accidentally spilled a glass of water mixed with sugar on the table, where my phone was. He didn't see that it was there, so he cleaned and dried everything except my phone. Thankfully, though, at that time it was turned off, and it stayed off till this morning.

This morning (not knowing of the water event yet), I turned it on and the homescreen appeared as usual. Right in that moment, though, I realized that the phone was slightly sticky on the borders. So I turned it off immediatly, and that was when my boyfriend remembered that he spilled the water and told me about it.

Anyway I took the battery off, the SIM and the back (to check the motherboard). I think I'm going to proceed disassemblying it completely, but first I wanted to post here to have some recommendations.

In the inside, for what I've seen so far, some parts are slightly damaged (white), and tiny little parts are sticky due to the sugar I guess, but in the overall it doesn't look so bad. (if I'm allowed to post some pictures here, let me know and I will do it right away)

What should I do now? Disassembly it completely and clean the white parts manually with some specific liquid? Or with just water?
Or should I seal it in a bag with rice for some days?
Or should I do both the things?

Please tell me there's still some way to save the files in that phone, I have both memories and work files on there, and the last backup I've made is like 3 months ago, so tons of files ago, too.
As I said, I didn't get to test the phone much cause I turned it off immediately as the screen loaded cause I realized it was sticky, but the homescreen did load as usual, my wallpaper picture was still there, so I guess the files aren't lost, am I right?

I have one more question: as far as the phone is turned off, it doesn't matter if some tiny parts are still wet, right? Or I have to disassembly it right now in a rush? This worries me because as I said the phone has sat on the table for three days (always turned off) before I could realize.

Thanks in advance to those who will try to help me!

Alias Marne
  • Forum posts: 98

Mar 26, 2015, 2:17:57 AM via Website

Take it to your nearest service center for cleaning the inside sugar water.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Mar 26, 2015, 5:17:29 AM via Website

I have one more question: as far as the phone is turned off, it doesn't matter if some tiny parts are still wet, right? Or I have to disassembly it right now in a rush? This worries me because as I said the phone has sat on the table for three days (always turned off) before I could realize.

@Strega . Most important thing, never turn on your device until it is completely dry.. Take it to nearest service center.

Ready To Help You.

Strega
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 26, 2015, 9:15:55 AM via Website

Sanjai Joseph

@Strega . Most important thing, never turn on your device until it is completely dry.. Take it to nearest service center.

Thanks, although, can I take my time as far as the device is turned off, or the sugar will still corrode/corrupt the phone if I don't take it to a center right away?