Best launcher for visually impaired?

• Replies:2
Aaron Lowe
  • Forum posts: 1

Feb 14, 2015, 4:32:11 PM via Website

I am working on setting up a new tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1") for a friend, who has no experience with Android or touch screen devices at all. He is slowly losing his sight, and he mostly wanted the tablet because he is an avid reader and would like to be able to keep reading books on it.

I have already decided that I like the Amazon Kindle app the best for navigating a library of books, and for being overall easiest to use when set to large font sizes for both the interface and the content. I'm happy with it, and I think he will be too.

However, I am still looking for a launcher that will work well for him. Other than reading, what he will be doing on the tablet is minimal, but I would like him to be able to access news apps, Google Chrome, and a few other things easily. My personal favorite launcher has long been Go Launcher Ex, and so I naturally gravitated towards that. I was able to make the icons and text very large, but then ran into a road block.

First, I prefer an interface that will work 100% in landscape mode. With the icons set to extra large, when I go to the "Add" dialog in order to add items to one of the home screens, the UI automatically rotates 90 degrees, and you have to rotate the tablet to portrait mode. Then, the add dialog freezes up completely. The only way I can add items to the home screen is to start the add process while in portrait mode, add items, and then rotate it back to landscape. Even then, it doesn't always work right.

So I guess I am looking for a launcher that --

• Will work 100% in landscape mode
  • Can be configured with extra large fonts and extra large icons
  • Will be fairly intuitive to someone who doesn't have much experience with such things

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

— modified on Feb 14, 2015, 4:36:51 PM

Fatima
  • Forum posts: 15

Feb 27, 2015, 11:24:47 AM via Website

I also have a friend which is in similar condition....having a brother who is a doctor but have lost his sight.

If the person you are talking about is loosing the sight slow, why don't you get him or her checkuped by a doctor?

wendy leyden
  • Forum posts: 1

May 12, 2015, 9:06:10 PM via Website

Aaron Lowe

I am working on setting up a new tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1") for a friend, who has no experience with Android or touch screen devices at all. He is slowly losing his sight, and he mostly wanted the tablet because he is an avid reader and would like to be able to keep reading books on it.

I have already decided that I like the Amazon Kindle app the best for navigating a library of books, and for being overall easiest to use when set to large font sizes for both the interface and the content. I'm happy with it, and I think he will be too.

However, I am still looking for a launcher that will work well for him. Other than reading, what he will be doing on the tablet is minimal, but I would like him to be able to access news apps, Google Chrome, and a few other things easily. My personal favorite launcher has long been Go Launcher Ex, and so I naturally gravitated towards that. I was able to make the icons and text very large, but then ran into a road block.

First, I prefer an interface that will work 100% in landscape mode. With the icons set to extra large, when I go to the "Add" dialog in order to add items to one of the home screens, the UI automatically rotates 90 degrees, and you have to rotate the tablet to portrait mode. Then, the add dialog freezes up completely. The only way I can add items to the home screen is to start the add process while in portrait mode, add items, and then rotate it back to landscape. Even then, it doesn't always work right.

So I guess I am looking for a launcher that --

• Will work 100% in landscape mode
  • Can be configured with extra large fonts and extra large icons
  • Will be fairly intuitive to someone who doesn't have much experience with such things

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi there, I am trying Big Launcher, which seems pretty good - large icons, easy to set up. I've only tried the free version, which is more limited than the $10 version (pricey!), but so far customer feed-back from my 81 year old mother is pretty good! Good luck!