Samsung Galaxy S5 — Do not want Lolipop....how can I stop Sprint from doing an OTA?

• Replies:4
David G.
  • Forum posts: 7

Jan 27, 2015, 1:13:21 AM via Website

I have the Galaxy S5 (S900P) from Sprint. The last OTA update put me at 4.4.4 Kitkat which works awesome (other than it stepped on my root and makes Towelroot not work anymore). I DO NOT WANT 5.0.X Lolipoop as it has problems which I don't need and besides I don't like the new look/feel, (WiFi issues, BT issues, battery drain issues, memory leaks, new stack issues, etc.). Does anyone know how to stop OTAs from Sprint from occurring automatically? I'd rather download the update "once it's actually working right" and side load it at my convenience.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Jan 27, 2015, 4:21:05 AM via Website

Well, there is no any way to disable the option of software update other than rooting your device.When an Android OS update is available for your device you will get a message stating so. It won't download automatically

Ready To Help You.

LalitGT Ohh

Salomon
  • Forum posts: 26

Jan 28, 2015, 2:58:56 PM via Website

Sanjai Joseph

Well, there is no any way to disable the option of software update other than rooting your device.When an Android OS update is available for your device you will get a message stating so. It won't download automatically

In my case with earlier Ota updates l have many times delayed the update but at least it does it automatically. But now I have unrooted my s4 because I want the original lollipop update, after manually update with cm12! I hope only that I can reroot it again after the official update.

David G.
  • Forum posts: 7

Jan 29, 2015, 10:09:37 PM via Website

Salomon

Sanjai Joseph

In my case with earlier Ota updates l have many times delayed the update but at least it does it automatically. But now I have unrooted my s4 because I want the original lollipop update, after manually update with cm12! I hope only that I can reroot it again after the official update.

I just re-rooted my Galaxy S5 (4.4.4) and turned off updates like I did on my Nexus 7. When the file comes in it will land in /system/cache where I can grab it and save it externally for later use (maybe). I heard Chainfire already has an Odin root kit out for the Galaxy S3, S4 and S5 on 5.0.2 but I'm still going to wait anyway until 5.X gets more stable. The phone is rock solid stable, fast as all get out and works the way I want it to. I just don't see the need to hack up all my tuning and tweaking just to get built in features in Android that are already in my customized TouchWiz and [I think] look and feel better. :-) Of course this is just my opinion. ;-)

Ruchir Sajwan
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 5, 2015, 7:50:18 PM via Website

Get that bugging "Lolipop update" out of the notification panel forever:

1: Make sure "AUTO UPDATE" and "update on wifi" is off.
2: Go to "Power saving mode" and check restrict background data and restrict performance.
3: Uncheck restrict background data and turn off restrict performance.

The update notification will go away and will not come back even if you restart your phone.

ENJOY
Thanks