Is HTC making the Nexus 9?

• Replies:4
Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Sep 12, 2014, 12:04:44 PM via Website

Hey dudes,

Recently a document was leaked which shows that HTC could be working on the Nexus 9, to be powered by a Tegra K1 processor by Nvidia. The document was a patent lawsuit document filed by Nvidia, which says that its release would be in the third quarter of 2014. This could mean that we would see the Nexus 9 around Halloween, early November! Cool right? And perhaps Android L would come out at the same time.

Would you like to see an HTC Nexus 9 with a 64-bit Tegra K1 processor? Do you think HTC will be making the next Google tablet, or is this just a silly rumor/faked bit of news?

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Sep 12, 2014, 4:47:31 PM via Website

I'm gonna say it's 100% that HTC is behind the Nexus 9. I think Nvidia's lawsuit naming the release time of the HTC tablet is about as legitimate as it gets (Q3, 2014).

I'm super psyched for a metallic Nexus with BoomSound front-facing speakers. The Tegra K1 is going to make the new Nexus THE gaming tablet to beat. Even the Nvidia Shield is gonna have some serious competition now. Now we just have to see how much it costs (cos metal and the K1 ain't gonna be cheap!). I'm guessing about 400-450 USD, depending on the internal storage options.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

MasterChat
  • Forum posts: 66

Sep 12, 2014, 5:04:28 PM via Website

Hello guys, sorry to interrupt. I don't quite get the context. What is the relationship of Nexus and HTC? What I knew is that HTC was owned by HTC Corp. in Taiwan.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Sep 12, 2014, 5:41:56 PM via Website

Hey @MasterChat! Nexus devices are always a partnership between Google and a hardware manufacturer. The Nexus 7 was made by Asus with Google dictating what went into it, the Nexus 5 and Nexus 4 were made by LG for Google and so on. So we always like to try to guess which manufacturer will partner with Google for the next Nexus.

This year it looks pretty certain that HTC will make the Nexus 9 and Motorola will make the Nexus 5 (2014). Unless we're wrong of course!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

MasterChat
  • Forum posts: 66

Sep 13, 2014, 5:19:02 PM via Website

Kris Carlon

Hey @MasterChat! Nexus devices are always a partnership between Google and a hardware manufacturer. The Nexus 7 was made by Asus with Google dictating what went into it, the Nexus 5 and Nexus 4 were made by LG for Google and so on. So we always like to try to guess which manufacturer will partner with Google for the next Nexus.

This year it looks pretty certain that HTC will make the Nexus 9 and Motorola will make the Nexus 5 (2014). Unless we're wrong of course!

Now I understand. Thank you for the useful information.