Google Nexus 5 — How to replace Nexus 5 battery

• Replies:4
  • Stickied
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jun 11, 2014, 11:25:35 AM via Website

Even though the Nexus 5 has a non-removable battery cover, you can still replace the battery yourself.

All you need to do is buy a replacement battery from a reputable source. You can buy replacement battery ''kits'' that also include a tool for removing the cover, but you can also use a highly sophisticated tool called a plectrum (or guitar pick). Once you have your battery cover removed, you need to remove the back plate and carefully remove the battery connectors underneath, followed by the battery itself (which will be stuck down).

Pop in the new one, replace the connectors and back plate and put the battery cover back on.

Check out this article on how to manually replace the non-removable Nexus 5 battery for a step by step breakdown (and check out the awesome video which inspired the article).

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Richard L R.Andres R.

ROBERT KILZER
  • Forum posts: 2

Aug 14, 2015, 9:24:00 PM via Website

Kris,

Thanks for the info. But there is one important warning that should be passed along: This process can be very dangerous! I know.

I do not recommend doing this. I just had a FIRE when the old battery ruptured while being removed from the phone. VERY DANGEROUS. The plastic "tool" NewPower99 enclosed in the kit to pry the battery out of the phone flattened out at the end, so I went to a knife. Mistake! The knife punctured the old battery and the ensuing FIRE was instant and violent. You can't put it out because it is a chemical fire that feeds on itself. SCARY! The original battery is really glued into the Nexus 5 phone and is NOT designed to be removed. I didn't lose much because my old Nexus 5 would only work for about 9 minutes on its old battery. But the fire danger is very real and very dangerous. Be careful; or better yet, don't do it.

PamelaMichel

Klavs P.
  • Forum posts: 23

Feb 2, 2016, 10:09:40 AM via Website

Oo..Fire? Where did you buy the battery? Is it from china? or original?

ROBERT KILZER
  • Forum posts: 2

Feb 17, 2016, 7:01:32 PM via Website

The battery that caught fire was the original. I punctured it in an attempt to remove it from the phone.

Pradnesh Terdalkar
  • Forum posts: 1

May 11, 2016, 9:18:53 AM via Website

Hi Kris,

Is there a particular manufacturer of battery that needs to be replaced or any would do ?

TY
Pradnesh