My Devices shows unknown device

• Replies:18
KevinE
  • Forum posts: 19

Apr 22, 2014, 10:57:47 PM via Website

Hello. When looking in the 'Settings' on the Google Play Store I have a mystery device and don't have any clue where it came from.

This 'Unnamed Device' from T-Mobile showed up a few weeks ago. I don't know anybody with a T-Mobile device that would have somehow logged into my Google account. I have watched it and it says it was registered on March 24, 2014 and no date showing it as being 'Last Used' but it is there and I don't know why or how it got there. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them?

Screen shot of the unknown device. http://i.imgur.com/c7qcavt.jpg

— modified on Apr 22, 2014, 10:58:36 PM

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Apr 23, 2014, 7:44:01 AM via Website

Well, I think some one is using your google account in their device better to change your gmail password and remove that device from your list. Have a look at this thread in knowing how to remove the device from your list.

KevinE

Apr 23, 2014, 6:15:53 PM via Website

You can not actually remove devices. You can only hide them. I know how to secure my Google account, thanks.

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Apr 29, 2014, 10:30:19 PM via App

I had the opposite happen; my nexus 5 disappeared from Google play and the device manager for a few days. Turned out it was an edited build.prop in a rom I'd flashed, though I doubt that's what caused your problem. Is it still there?

Sinkster

KevinE

Apr 29, 2014, 10:33:40 PM via Website

Yes still there. I have never rooted my phone or tablet so it's not related to that.

sinkster

Apr 30, 2014, 1:15:42 AM via Website

Don't know if you've tried already, but at the bottom of your browser gmail page there's an option to check account activity details, though depending on your use of google it may not go far back time-wise. Check https://security.google.com/ to see a bit further back and see if it shows how and where this device was registered to your account. There are two likely causes; it may be a totally innocuous glitch on google, or your carriers, part caused by a number of things such as logging in via different servers (using wifi at home will show your home log-in town, using 3g to log-in to google services can show various areas, I'm in Glasgow but my 3g log-in registers as London sometimes, due to the network), a change in your phones model number or the addition of a phone to google services with the same model number (similar to verizon/ATT having different versions of the same phone): or it could be somebody hacking, or attempting to hack, your google account. If there's nothing untoward on your account activity then it's the former and it'll eventually be removed, if the latter then change your google password asap.

Sinkster

KevinE

Apr 30, 2014, 2:13:49 AM via Website

sinkster

https://security.google.com/

Thank you. I went to https://security.google.com/settings/security/permissions?pli=1 and there is an option in there to revoke access on all devices and apps that were registered to access my account. I revoked access to the T-Mobile GT-I9300 device but it still shows in my Google Play Devices.

Looking through the apps that have access I'm thinking it might be the DeskSMS app from ClockworkMod that added the GT-I9300 device. I revoked access to DeskSMS too since I have already uninstalled it.

I have seen that page before through the monthly account activity email from Google but completely forgot about it.

I hoped that revoking the GT-I9300 would remove it from my Google Play Devices but it didn't.

sinkster

Apr 30, 2014, 8:11:43 AM via App

Yeah, it'll probably remain linked to your account indefinitely. I used a PC app called bluestacks (an android emulator) a couple of years ago which added two Galaxy notes to my devices, and on checking they're still there. I think apps like DeskSMS needed to create a device profile on the play store to send or receive messages but if you still want that functionality try MightyText instead.

— modified on Apr 30, 2014, 8:16:12 AM

Sinkster

Ciro Corvino

KevinE

Apr 30, 2014, 8:35:08 AM via Website

You are the second person to mention Bluestacks so that might be what did it. After looking more I had installed Bluestacks to test something on the exact same day as this mystery device showed up. I'm now 99% sure it's from Bluestacks. Thanks!

Ciro CorvinoRazvan Socol

Will Learoyd
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 3, 2014, 12:03:49 AM via Website

Do u happen to use BlueStacks?...I have a similar thing and all I can think it is, is some software like blue stacks, unless it IS more sinister
edit: (just read last post...maybe shudda done that 1st... its a safe bet it was Bluestacks)

— modified on Jul 3, 2014, 12:06:09 AM

Ciro CorvinoRazvan Socol

KevinE

Jul 3, 2014, 12:07:28 AM via Website

Yes I agree that it is Bluestacks.

Ciro Corvino

Caia Calabrese

Sep 24, 2014, 5:41:31 PM via Website

It happened to me either. I have a Sony Ericsson X8 and a HP 7 1800 tablet. And I was browsing play.google when I found out an unknown device between my known ones.

In another blog someone adviced to take a look at security settings in Google There's a list of recent activity. And you can see what was happening with your account from which IP.

There I discovered the so called Samsung GT-I9500 T-Mobile - US was no other than my tablet using Chrome to enter play.google. 

So although I tried bluestacks, it wasn't on my tablet, so it wasn't related to this.

Now I don't know how to erase that virtual device from the list. :(    Any idea?

sinkster

Sep 24, 2014, 6:10:17 PM via Website

It can't be erased. Once a device (real or virtual) is registered with Google it will remain linked to your account indefinitely; I flash several roms a month and depending on the build.prop Google will show it as a different device (On my play account it shows 8 separate devices including three Nexus 5s). The best advice, as always, is to change your Google password every month or two just to ensure the integrity of it.

Sinkster

Claudia Calabrese

Ashish Patil
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 25, 2014, 7:59:38 PM via Website

Same case here and also the exact same device (Samsung I9300, T-Mobile, US(I am From India))and it shows last used January 14..... I changed my password couple of times since then. And I didn't encountered any suspicious activity even when that device was active. And I want that device out of my device list anyone plz help me out.....

Ashish Patil
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 25, 2014, 8:02:02 PM via Website

I too, happened to use bluestack but it never did installed full correctly

Davis Mann

Oct 8, 2015, 9:03:41 AM via Website

yes...it's def bluestacks. I have spend the last hour searching for the reason that i have a "GT 19500" included in my devices on google play (despite only using my iphone and pc w windows), and thought that the bluestacks may have needed some fake android calling card to gain access, like you said, and i think that must be exactly what's going on.
there's a solid pattern here, so i'm satisfied we're not all being hacked by the same dude using the same model phone!

thanks much and cheers!

Ernest Lejeune

Aug 12, 2016, 5:01:10 AM via Website

Sinkster
BlueStacks is the reason I'm on this Foram. That is exactly what happened to me when I log into it. It shows I have a new device add it to my account. So I deleted my account off of BlueStacks. And got rid of it off of my Google account. So I did some research. And decided to log back into BlueStacks. Now it shows completely different device.

L.P

Jan 11, 2018, 10:50:52 AM via Website

THAAANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are right!!!