ROMS

• Replies:11
Randall Gautreaux
  • Forum posts: 24

Apr 5, 2014, 3:17:42 PM via Website

I received some info about a different Rom then what I am using currently. I now am using a Galaxy SIII Mini straight out of the box. I have just started experimenting with making my own wallpapers and things of that nature. My question is this. What is the main reason for downloading a new Rom on my phone and is it beneficial to me and my phone? My next question is if i would decide to download this new ROM is it a very complex operation to complete. I am a newbie at this tech stuff so i am very cautious about these things. Any views on my questions would be greatly appreicated.

randallgautreaux@gmail.com

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Apr 5, 2014, 7:34:22 PM via Website

Generally speaking custom roms fall into 2 camps: modded stock roms, which are modified versions of the phones original software; and original roms which tend to be built from scratch for a number of models and tend to be based around AOSP(Android Open Source Project), basically barebone android without any manufacturer additions. Both have benefits and pitfalls. Modded stock roms are not hugely different from what you already have; they can be faster, more customisable, and generally less bloated than stock but at the same time they are changing something that the OEM has worked on for probably over a year, and what may seem to be an improvement in a devs eyes may not be to your taste. The speed can come at the cost of smoothness, stability, or battery life and possibly all three. Original roms such as CyanogenMod, AOKP, Omni, MIUI etc are designes normally from the AOSP source, not the manufacturers rom, so they will have the latest available version for your phone and have no carrier/manufacturer bloatware but also no original firmware, which means generally that apps designed specifically for your phone (camera, music, and so on) will not work. Plus once again, what some people define as better may not be your cup of tea.
I'm not familiar with Samsung devices, and generally all phones have slightly different versions of the process, but before you do anything you should root your phone, flash a custom recovery and make a nandroid backup so that you have your original set up available to restore; also back up your app data using Titanium backup or something similar. The reason for this is, when you flash a rom it will overwrite your current firmware and you'll probably be required to wipe user data too.
This is just a very rough guide, the best idea is to read the rom development thread to find out if there are any potential problems. Good luck anyway.

— modified on Apr 5, 2014, 7:37:08 PM

Sinkster

Randall Gautreaux

Apr 5, 2014, 8:25:38 PM via Website

Sinkster, I appreciate the info you have given me and I will follow your advice and read more into the info i received. I can find that app you referred to in the play store? Have a great weekend.
Randall

sinkster

Apr 5, 2014, 9:21:50 PM via Website

Yes, there's a free version which does most things. There are a few others which do something similar so check them out. A nandroid backs up your app data too but it's trickier, and sometimes impossible, to transfer it to another rom.
Once again good luck, don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any. Have a good weekend yourself.

Sinkster

Randall Gautreaux

Apr 5, 2014, 9:55:48 PM via Website

Thanks for the quick reply Sinkster, I noticed that you used the word nandroid in your reply.. I taking a guess but would that mean non android. As you can see i am just learning the in and outs of the world. But am catching on quick....

sinkster

Apr 6, 2014, 8:46:59 AM via App

No, it's actually NANDroid where NAND is the flash memory. It backs up a system image which can be restored and both processes require a custom recovery (CWM/TWRP) to be present. Basically, before you fish any rom or mod you should backup your current rom so that if anything goes wrong you have the option to restore your previous setup. Before anything you'll probably need to unlock your bootloader, root your phone, set up ADB on your PC/laptop, and familiarise yourself with the processes.
Like I said I'm not familiar with using or modding Samsung devices, so before starting to flash anything you should read up on it, and probably the best place is XDA. There are forums for almost all android devices, covering everything from the very basic to the extremely complicated. Obviously there are knowledgeable people here on AndroidPIT but XDA is more focused on android development. Feel free to ask here, of course.

Sinkster

Randall Gautreaux

Apr 6, 2014, 3:41:01 PM via Website

OK what is ADB? I have airdroid on my laptop is that in the ballpark of what ADB is?

Cajunbuckeye/ Randall

sinkster

Apr 6, 2014, 7:16:04 PM via Website

ADB is something you would need to set up on your PC. It's basically a command-line editor to link with your android device(s) and a necessity for rooted phones. It's part of the android SDK (software development kit) and used to be pretty time consuming to find and install, but there are a few simple options now such as Koush's universal ADB driver, or even simpler is this ADB installer from xda. You'll also get fastboot which is required for flashing a boot.img(custom kernel) or other services such as unlocking your bootloader. Give this xda thread a thorough read before you do anything, as all devices differ; I only know Sony/HTC /Nexus methods and the above info is a generalisation of the procedures.

— modified on Apr 6, 2014, 7:16:32 PM

Sinkster

Randall Gautreaux

Apr 6, 2014, 8:22:00 PM via Website

Well now this is interesting and all but i will have to think on if i want to put that new ROM on my S3 Mini. I get all the satisfaction out it just as it is. Maybe after i have had it a year or two then it would be a decision i could make quickly. I went to that XDA site and was out of my element there. But thanks for giving me info i would not known where to look for Sinkster. Have a great Sunday.

sinkster

Apr 6, 2014, 9:27:28 PM via Website

No problem. To be honest custom roms don't make a huge difference any more, more often than not you end up with poorer battery life and an unstable phone. I've been doing it for over 4 years but since dual core/krait cores the difference is minimal as most phones now can handle the stock bloatware without slowing down. Take your time reading the forums, there is a lot of knowledge that can be gleaned from questions and their replies. Enjoy the rest of your weekend anyway Randall, and always feel free to ask any questions.

Sinkster

Randall Gautreaux

Apr 6, 2014, 9:53:32 PM via Website

Thanks Sinkster, I will keep that in mind.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Apr 11, 2014, 5:43:01 PM via Website

Hey Randall, @Sinkster seems to have sorted you out pretty well on the basics.

Here's an article we posted recently about the best KitKat ROMs for the S3.

There's other more obvious and popular ones (like Sinkster mentioned) but these are some more interesting ones you might not have come across yet.

Search AndroidPIT for infographics too and you'll get a bunch of custom ROM articles twith infographic GIFs of their various features. Nice viewing if you want to get a quick overview of the major ROMs.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting