How to fight with competitor's bad reviews on Google Play

• Replies:10
Jakub Szwiec
  • Forum posts: 5

Mar 11, 2014, 7:15:28 PM via Website

Hi,
my competitor started "1 star action" on Google Play. I got provocative comments like "I think it has stolen my mac's pasword!!"
Have You idea how to fight with that unfair behaviour?

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Mar 12, 2014, 6:32:15 AM via Website

Well, that's a major problem I will only suggest that ask your friends and family members to download the application and make sure they write good reviews. You can try to force the bad reviews down by making the other people wether its from facebook, twitter, G+ make them download the app and ask them to review your application good, that's only going to help you out nothing more than that could help you out !

Jakub Szwiec
  • Forum posts: 5

Mar 13, 2014, 9:41:01 PM via Website

Thank you John for advice, when my rating will be lower than 4, because of this 1 stars, I will do that.
How exactly works this google play rating system. I was thinking that it is binded to phone and user, but yesterday I add new account and it was possible to give rating again. So, my competitor can create new accounts and give me 1 star many times even from the same phone?

Lalit
  • Admin

Mar 14, 2014, 6:36:27 AM via Website

Well, @Jakub look it works like i have an application submitted at play store and in order to give rating I need to install an application in my device using the gmail account now once I did that's done now if i want to give review again I can modify my previous review but if I think that i will review my app again for five stars, i can't do that, from one gmail account i can give only one review, we can modify that but we can give multiple reviews.

LZ77
  • Forum posts: 19

Mar 20, 2014, 2:54:52 AM via Website

They say however that rating does not effect (at least directly) your position in google play search results... that is one good thing about it if that is true.
but it can make people download your app less of course...

Lalit
  • Admin

Mar 20, 2014, 6:08:52 AM via Website

@LZ77 This is the problem with the review it adversely effect the mentality of the people, like I am onto some app in which reviews are like "bad app, not working, ridiculous" Then I am definitely sure that I am not going to install that app and I can say more than 90% of the users agree with me. And you know very well that seeing your application on the top of Play Store is very much tough an application just having 50K downloads is just not seen anywhere and having bad review is again going to effect the number of downloads. So, ultimately your application stuck inside the bulk of apps. :( I think Google needs to do something on this !:unsure:

keokafe01
  • Forum posts: 32

Oct 4, 2014, 4:06:56 AM via Website

John F.

@LZ77 This is the problem with the review it adversely effect the mentality of the people, like I am onto some app in which reviews are like "bad app, not working, ridiculous" Then I am definitely sure that I am not going to install that app and I can say more than 90% of the users agree with me. And you know very well that seeing your application on the top of Play Store is very much tough an application just having 50K downloads is just not seen anywhere and having bad review is again going to effect the number of downloads. So, ultimately your application stuck inside the bulk of apps. :( I think Google needs to do something on this !:unsure:

enthusiastic mod ^^

Zoe Young
  • Forum posts: 26

Jul 6, 2016, 8:28:58 AM via Website

@Jakub Szwiec

As you mentioned it is your competitor, you have no way to contact him or ask him to delete. These ways can help you when find negative reviews.

A quick look at all the negative reviews

Negative reviews are not always bad, if they are not malicious, they are the voices of users. If you take a quick look at all the negative reviews, you can know they are saying and what do they hope to see in your app. You can also find some good ideas and useful suggestions, which can help you to rethink and improve your app to be a better one.

Avoid being defensive

Even if you find some malicious or irrelevant reviews, don’t be defensive, instead, calm down, think about what they said, is that true? Do the problems or bugs really exist? If they are all true then you should be glad that they found the bugs for your app.

Make an apology

Basically, no one wants to get in the endless controversy with a unsatisfied customer. No matter what they said, just make an apology politely and reply them like “Sorry for the unpleasant that caused to you, thank you let us have the opportunity to fix this for you , please let us know if there is anything else we can do to make your experience with us a pleasant one!”

This could stop them to post negative reviews again and may change their mind to change reviews.

Release an update

Releasing an new updated version with all bugs fixed, add an pop-up window to inform the users like “the bug fixed and stability improved”, ask them to update the new version, and add a popup to window in the new version to ask them to re-rate and re-write reviews for your app. This action may help to reduce the negative reviews.

Get better reviews

If you did everything you could, but you still cannot change the negative reviews for your app, then focus on the quality of the app and make it a great app, which will drive more organic 5-star rating and good reviews in the future.

Alena LigutaLifemakers Studio

Alena Liguta
  • Forum posts: 11

Dec 2, 2016, 9:28:00 AM via Website

I guess a wise, calm and polite answer to the negative review could solve the problem, to some extent. You cannot do anything about the spoiled rating, still your correct response may improve your reputation among your other users. Good luck!

cristoforos p.
  • Forum posts: 41

Dec 5, 2016, 11:33:01 AM via Website

I think informing the rest users in a kind way that the reviewer is a competitor could be a nice approach. What do you say about that ?

Jessica Betts
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 16, 2020, 3:59:55 PM via Website

Well, that’s not a big deal to fight against bad competitor's behavior! It is common when you’re in a profession or running a business. You can do one thing to get rid of this issue. Get in touch with a trusted online reputation management agency that has a track record in maintaining and improving online brand reputation.