NSA and British Government Communications Headquarters spying on apps. Why!?

• Replies:3
Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Jan 28, 2014, 6:22:23 PM via Website

Hey AndroidPITers,

This really makes me mad! Even though I read permissions, am careful with my information and try not to install anything suspicious, Angry Birds, Facebook, LinkedIN, Twitter, YouTube and Google Maps, to name just a few, are considered ''leaky'' as reported by Edward Snowden recently. Some information about gender, age, location as well as sexual and political orientation has been leaked ot these spy agencies, it's so infuriating!

How do you feel about this? I don't want to become suspicious of everything, but I feel like my illusions of privacy are starting to crumble around me.

What do you think? :(

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jan 29, 2014, 6:31:25 PM via Website

I'm the most suspicious guy out there (interpret that however you like), but because of the nature of my job I've had to succumb to the need to hand over massive amounts of personal information just to do my job properly. While I'm not very comfortable with it, I also figure it's not exactly easy to avoid if you want to be connected to the world at large and spy agencies will find a way whether Facebook and Angry Birds hand it over or not. If only I'd had more time to put into my elaborate fake online presence.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Dean McCabe

DaBartonator
  • Forum posts: 21

Feb 1, 2014, 5:35:10 AM via App

A lot of people are freaking out about the NSA and their collection of data. While I am already careful with my digital footprint, the mass collection of data dose not make me to worried. The best way to explain why is to explain what these toe national governments are trying to do.
There are a hundred people in a room, in an hour a bomb will go off that was detonated by one of the persons in the room. You have the ability to hear everything said in that room, and everything said gets recorded
When I explain this analogy to people their response is to just wait until the bomb is detonated to see who it is. But what if this person isn't acting alone? That's when the records of the previous hour come into effect.
So basically being spied on shouldn't effect you unless you are doing something wrong.