Samsung Galaxy S4 mini — Battery Usage, Cell Standby, & Network Mode ?

• Replies:4
Mick
  • Forum posts: 38

Jan 20, 2014, 1:54:11 AM via Website

I would like to understand whatever relationships exist among Battery Usage, Cell Standby, & Network mode.

I am seeing that Cell Standby accounts for 40% of my battery usage - with GPS, Wi-Fi, and Mobile Data all turned off.

Under network mode i have 4 choices ...
  1. GSM/HPSA/LTE auto connect
  2. GSM/HPSA auto connect
  3. GSM only
  4. HPSA only
Will my choice among these affect my battery usage?

What is the difference if i do not choose an auto connect option? I am guessing that auto connect simply means that the phone will choose the best option, so auto connect is not necessary when there is just one choice.

I do not need the extra hi speed of LTE. Rogers coverage in Canada is slightly better with GSM/EDGE than with HPSA. So i am considering setting my phone to GSM only.

Here is the coverage map. If you uncheck all 4 then check them one at a time you can compare ...
Rogers Mobile Internet | Coverage Map

Will i save battery usage with this choice? What do ya think?

Samsung Galaxy S4 mini SGH-I257M , 4.2.2

Joel W.
  • Forum posts: 164

Jan 20, 2014, 7:44:42 PM via Website

You will definitely save your battery by turning off LTE. I've never been one to mess with network modes, but I live in the US and we don't have a choice here. My uneducated guess is that if it doesn't have to switch modes, you might save a little battery. Anyone else want to chime in on this?

--I do a good impression of myself--

Mick

Jan 21, 2014, 3:07:54 AM via Website

I set it on HPSA Only. I'll see how this works out over the next while. Thank you.

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Jan 21, 2014, 9:52:51 PM via App

If you know that your 3g/4g reception is going to be constantly good then leave it on. The main cause of battery drain will be where your phone is searching for a good signal, so if your passing through areas with poor or no 3g/4g then it'll be constantly searching. 4g is supposedly more efficient due to the minimal download or transfer time (only where the signal is sufficiently strong) but in areas of patchy or no coverage switch it off.

— modified on Jan 22, 2014, 7:03:32 PM

Sinkster

Mick

Jan 21, 2014, 11:09:35 PM via Website

OK, so reviewing my 4 choices ...
  1. GSM/HPSA/LTE auto connect
  2. GSM/HPSA auto connect
  3. GSM only
  4. HPSA only
According to Rogers coverage map there is local LTE here [London, ON Canada], lots around Toronto, not much anywhere else ... http://www.orderrogers.ca/rocket/coverage.vhtml?province=ON

So if i am near home or near Toronto choice 1 should be best; otherwise choice 2? Or should i just leave it at choice 1 and trust that it will not be searching for an LTE signal if the other two are strong.

EDIT: Ooops, i just re-read your post ... in areas of patchy out no coverage switch it off. So i'll use #1 where the map shows the LTE being good, otherwise i'll go to choice #2. Thanx.

— modified on Jan 21, 2014, 11:14:02 PM