Whatsapp hyperlinks not working on new phone

• Replies:2
Kat Smith
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 17, 2013, 2:57:29 AM via Website

Hi, apologies if this has been discussed here before and I didn't see it - I bought a Galaxy S3 yesterday, (had an older style Galaxy before) and have a problem with Whatsapp now. On my old phone, when someone else posted a hyperlink in a chat, it clearly looked like a link (blue and underlined) and I could just tap on it and it would ask me which browser I want to use to open it. However now on the new phone, any link just appears like "normal text" and I can't click on it / open it. Does anyone please know how to change this? Answers in "non-technical" lingo would be appreciated. :) Thanks!

Sol G

Dec 5, 2013, 10:55:24 AM via Website

I believe the issue is that the person sending you the link is not in your contacts. I think that's a security "feature" they have in order to ensure you don't open a link from an untrusted source. Add the person to your contacts and see if that helps.

Kyle BellKris Carlon

ML Special

Feb 28, 2017, 10:04:00 AM via Website

Hi Sol G
If hyper link cannot be opened due to security "feature" then why to let the users add in their messages ? And, how do WhatsApp filter the untrusted senders ? I would like to mention that the same hyper link is being opened from same message received via WhatsApp on other mobile phones, so where is question of security "feature" ?